Lowering Tech This section is for suspension questions related to decreasing the ride height of your vehicle.

leafsprings, coils, trosion bar which way?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 09:57 PM
guitarman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default leafsprings, coils, trosion bar which way?

I've seen some pics of a 4x4 blazer lowered 5 front 6 rear or vise versa whichever way makes it sit level (pictured below). So the truck I seen the guy said he used coilovers, and notches? I read a lot and understand the torsion bar can give up to 2" when the bolt is removed completely and that blocks can be used for the rear. What parts should I use to get a 5" drop in front and 6" drop in rear? Also what is a "notch" and am I going to need one? Where do I find this "notch" and where does it go? My ride is an 03 4 door blazer 4x4

Also is it better to go with belltech lowered leafsprings rather than the blocks? I've been hearing that the blocks make your wheels jump or bounce or something like that, is that true? What is the best combination of parts to install for optimal lowering and ride stability?

This is a pic of the blazer that caught my eye and has the coilovers and is "notched"

Old 03-16-2008, 10:03 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: leafsprings, coils, trosion bar which way?

Coilovers=2WD unless I'm missing something. Notches usually refer to the rear where they notch the frame (cut out a section and weld in pieces so the axle can sit higher into the body). Blocks are useful because they keep your stock load capacity. Lowering leaf springs will give you a better ride than blocks but you lose how much weight you can handle in the back. If this is not an issue and you can afford the price difference (blocks are like $40 I believe), than go for the leaf springs.

Old 03-16-2008, 10:24 PM

Can I use belltech 3" lowering leafsprings and 3" drop blocks to get a 6" drop in the rear? How do I get a 5" drop in the front? Am I going to need notches? If so can you elaborate on that whole process a little more for me I'm a noob. What about using coils to lower the rear with a lowering leafspring? Will changing the coils in the front add to my front drop at all or not?

Old 03-16-2008, 10:36 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

You don't have coil springs in the front, you have a 4WD. 4WD=torsion bars. There is nothing to notch in the front. 5" in the front, you're looking at removing the 4WD system completely and converting to a 2WD front end so you can install airbags or lowering spindles. Doing this=$$$ unless you can do it all yourself. I don't think I have seen a 4WD with bags in the front, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

And I'd be worried about bottoming out with 3" springs AND 3" blocks. That much lowering and you're likely looking at cutting the frame (notches). An example of a small notch cut into the frame can be seen HERE. An example of closer to what you'd have to do can be seen HERE. Again, not for the mechanically and welding-challenged.

Bottom line is you're not going to be able to slam a 4x4 as low as a 4x2, plain and simple. Drop it 2" in the front, get 3" blocks for the rear (with correct pinion angle), buy some 20's with a decent tire to fill up the wheelwell and call it a day.

Old 03-16-2008, 10:44 PM

So my best bet is to pull the torsion bolts out completely, install 3" leafsprings for rear drop, and buy some drop shocks? What about the lowering coils for the rear, or should I just leave those stock? do you know what size tires I can go with 20" rims after making these adjustments? I appreciate all your help

Old 03-16-2008, 10:54 PM

PS. Do you know where I can go to buy the 3" drop leafspring for the rear? Will I lose a lot of my weight capacity back there or just a little.