Lowering Tech This section is for suspension questions related to decreasing the ride height of your vehicle.

lowering a 4wd

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 07:23 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I have read of others completely removing them. You are not the first person here to lower a 4wd...

Old 03-25-2009, 07:39 PM
Starting Member
spankyy is an unknown quantity at this point

did they look cool dose anyone have pics i just what to so about what it would look like

o an then u just tighten them back up to raise it right lol

Old 05-27-2009, 05:58 PM
Beginning Member
dgh91 is on a distinguished road

i have a 92 and i lowered it with 3 inch blocks in the back and lossened the torsion you just have to cut the bump stops in half cause you only have a inch or 2 before they hit

Old 06-22-2009, 02:47 PM
Beginning Member
bravadaAWD is on a distinguished road

i've loosen mine by basically almost pulling the bolt out and then tightening about half a turn. i drove it around to get it to settle and then measured it and cranked up the side that was lower to even it out and then drove it again to make sure it didn't settle anymore. 3inch blocks in the back. now i like the way it looks even though the back sits lower (about half inch or 3/4) than the front. i want more though. i think i am going to put some coilover in the front so i can get another 1 1/2 in the front and then get some leaf springs for the back. only reason why is because my front is loose and doesn't handle as well as i would like so this seems like my only alternative. any thoughts??

Old 06-22-2009, 04:05 PM
mikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud of

did you get an alingment after you backed out the tbar bolts? if not i would suggest getting that done you can also throw some lowering shocks in the front and upgrade your sway bar bushings to polyurathane.

Old 06-23-2009, 07:00 PM
Beginning Member

yeah i need the shocks, but i have poly in the front. i did a full rebuild in the front including hub bearings, ball joints, sleeves etc. i still have to do the spindles? the one coming off the pump and one bolted to the side frame. after that i had an alignment. too bad my 180 treadwear tires didn't last more than a year and a half.

Old 06-24-2009, 10:11 AM
Unlimitedsp is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by bravadaAWD
i've loosen mine by basically almost pulling the bolt out and then tightening about half a turn. i drove it around to get it to settle and then measured it and cranked up the side that was lower to even it out and then drove it again to make sure it didn't settle anymore. 3inch blocks in the back. now i like the way it looks even though the back sits lower (about half inch or 3/4) than the front. i want more though. i think i am going to put some coilover in the front so i can get another 1 1/2 in the front and then get some leaf springs for the back. only reason why is because my front is loose and doesn't handle as well as i would like so this seems like my only alternative. any thoughts??
loosening the bolt will make the front end ride like crap. Not really recommended. Get a set of belltech torsion bar keys. Allows you to drop the front 3" without affecting the ride.

Old 06-24-2009, 01:37 PM
mikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud of

the lowering keys are just as useless as the lifting keys IMO

Old 06-25-2009, 10:25 AM
Beginning Member

some of the guys with typhoons and cyclones have done the coilover swap which saves about 100 lbs from removing the torsion bars and the crossmember. it's suppose to give you a nice firm front but you have to have the right coil in the coilover to give it the right height and stiffness. IMO the best route to make it handle and be lower.

Old 10-18-2009, 12:48 PM
Banned
Chriscursle81 is on a distinguished road

Loosen the bolts on each side tha same distance!!! but make sure bolt isnt hand loose/tight... I lowered my 04 4x4 blaze wit bigger torsion keys-to get lower.. And 3 inch leafs and 1 inch blox in the rear.. I threw 20s on it and replaced stock shocks w/ belltech nitro drop shocks.. Ride is a lil diff but not too much.. I just raise front bak up in winter..

Quick Reply: lowering a 4wd