Lowering Tech This section is for suspension questions related to decreasing the ride height of your vehicle.

pre drop advice?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 01:11 AM
DLslotster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default pre drop advice?

[align=left]I just ordered the stuff to do a 3/4 drop on the blazer. Lower control arms, blocks, new rear shocks. Doing this myself and I've never done it before so any pre drop advice would be nice. I've heard it's not too rough tho so we'll see.
[/align]

Old 11-13-2007, 02:08 AM
BF Veteran
thegr81 is on a distinguished road
Default RE: pre drop advice?

Take your time with it first of all!! When doing the lower control arms I take it they are the drop cup style?? Well when doing them just

remember the spring is under tension so when taking the lower arm off first place a jack under the control arm to keep it from blowing out. Then

loosen the castle nut on the lower arm's ball joint keep the nut on but loosen it. Then take some of the tension off the spring by lowering the jack a

little bit but make sure its still on the arm controlling its drop. take a small sledge hammer and smack the side of ball joint to break it loose ( it will

pop) then take the nut off and start to slowly lower the control arm with the jack. When its all the way down then take the spring out and unbolt the

lower control arm the rest of the way, put the new one in, then the spring, jack it up a little but to were you can get the ball joint back into the spindle tighten it up and repeat for the other side.

As for the rear jack up the rear and place jack stands on the frame rails (break lugs loose before jacking up). Take the tires off then take out the bump stop undo the 4 u-bolts, grab drop block and new u-bolts put back together, repeat for other side.

You will see that it is really easy once you start getting dirty. Then you will have yourself saying next stop bags and pavement!!!!!

Hope this is helpful for you!!!

Old 11-13-2007, 11:42 AM

[align=left]Thanks a lot for the advice man. I'll be doing this Sat and hopefully it goes off without a hitch. I'll post some before and after pics once it's done.
[/align]

Old 11-13-2007, 12:00 PM
BF Veteran

Cool look forward to seeing it!!! If you get stuck there is plenty of people on here to help, just let us know!!!

Old 11-19-2007, 01:13 PM

Looks like i'll be dalayed a week or two. One of the shocks was bad so I sent it back. It was REAL easy to compress, and i'm no suspension expert, but I think thats a bad thing!
[align=left] [/align]

Old 12-09-2007, 07:15 PM

So I've got the front lowered. We didn't have time to do the back. Sorry, no in process pics, I forgot to bring my camera. A little heads up for anyone going with DJM lower control arms... the bolts that connect stock control arms/frame are two different sizes. The front ones WILL NOT FIT in the DJMs, they're too thick. Luckily we found some suitable subs in the scrounge bin. Also, since this is my first time dropping ANYTHING, I was kinda winging it. The instructions don't tell you to disconnect the top of the shock as well, but it's damn near impossible to get the spring in there if you don't.

The shop is closed till Tues, so it looks like I'm postponed... again. Pics to come once it's done
[align=left] [/align]

Old 12-10-2007, 04:07 AM
BF Veteran

Hey I hope everything is going good for you!!! I beat you to it I slammed mine on 18's!!!

Old 12-10-2007, 10:42 AM

pics??
[align=left] [/align]

Old 12-11-2007, 06:58 AM
BF Veteran

Well the weather might be good enough today for me to clean my truck and wheels to get some good pics so if its clear all day I will have plenty new pics tonight up on here. I basically slammed mine 4inches in the rear and 4 in the front I like it and it rides nice the handling is so awesome. Put it this way no more body roll, lol its so cool to take turns faster and not roll into them anymore!!!

Old 12-14-2007, 12:42 PM

So I finally finished the drop. Looks awesome, rides great! My wheels actually look like 20s now. The back is a lil lower than the front, so I may cut a bit off the front springs someday, but for now it'll do. Gonna wash it and find a good spot for some pics this weekend.
[align=left] [/align]

Quick Reply: pre drop advice?