New Member Area Are you new to Blazer Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

1970 K5 - drove it home yesterday!

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 03:28 PM
Red Tomato is on a distinguished road
Default 1970 K5 - drove it home yesterday!

I've been looking for a blazer for quite a while and finally found the right one for me. Here are the details as I know them today, 20 hours after picking it up:
Transfer case - leaks, don't think that's a news flash to anyone
Built in St. Louis, owned in Georgia until two years ago when the guy I bought it from bought it off e-bay. Shipped to Oregon, never driven except to fill up the tank once and never even registered.

New looking 350/350, all the good stuff in the engine compartment, MDS 6T, chrome alt, new radiator and fan shroud. Long tube headers and wicked sounding mufflers.

Seats are all in good shape and dash is almost in tact minus hole for 1-din stereo. tub was rhino-lined, I'm sure they covered a little rust on the floors as I can see it from the underside. All the quarters are clean with no rust, might be a little in the door sills, maaco paint does a good job of hiding what ever is there.

New grill and really all chrome including bumpers.

No hard top, it only had a soft top but since it is in the garage I'll just drive it when it's nice!

Here is my first problem: I popped the hood to show a neighbor how bad a$$ is was and noticed oil coming out of the front spark plug hole on the passenger side. engine is perfectly clean so it is not a valve cover or something like that. I pulled the plug and it felt a little loose but not finger loose. I'm guessing the rest of the plugs will be fouled as it has not been driven in two years and only started occasionally. the other thing that has me worried is the header on the front cylinders is extreemly close to the spark plug wire boot, in fact it may even touch, should I be worried about that.

Finally where do all the 1970 Blazer guys hang out on this board? I'll probably have some questions

Thanks for the warm welcome and advice in advance!

-Steve
Tualatin, OR (near Portland)

Old 05-11-2009, 03:53 PM
oisinirish is an unknown quantity at this point

Welcome!
All the K5 stuff is in its own section. Post some pics!!

Old 05-11-2009, 10:14 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome! Lets see it!

Old 05-11-2009, 10:29 PM
bandidolenny is on a distinguished road

Nice! I have a soft spot for the old full tops. I still have a 74 that is in hibernation and my uncle has a cherry 71 GMC Jimmy with a Bestop soft top. Welcome!

Old 05-12-2009, 02:32 AM
BF Veteran
kiwiblazer is on a distinguished road

Welcome.

Old 05-12-2009, 10:38 PM
TomSawyer is on a distinguished road

Welcome! WOW, a 1970, nice.

Old 05-13-2009, 12:49 AM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

Welcome!

Old 06-18-2009, 05:17 PM
KhristynnBlazer'88 is on a distinguished road

i just bought an '88 and I'm desperately looking to buy a new or used soft top - but no one manufactures them anymore (not Kayline or Sklyer Corp. anyways) and the only one I can find is like $1000 - let me know if you hear of anyone selling a soft top!

Old 06-18-2009, 06:30 PM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

Welcome! we need pics though!!

Old 06-19-2009, 04:30 AM
foxxie is on a distinguished road

Welcome! from down under.

Quick Reply: 1970 K5 - drove it home yesterday!