New Member Area Are you new to Blazer Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

1977 K5 Restoration Help Needed

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2021, 01:34 PM
Hb77 is on a distinguished road
Default 1977 K5 Restoration Help Needed

I am new here, but maybe someone could take the time to help me.

I am about to buy a 77 K5 with a small block 400 in it, it's been sitting for about 18 years. Before that it ran and drove, so there's no up front major problems that I know of.
The reason I am posting this is that I am by no means a mechanic, though I have done plenty of work on my other vehicles. So what I am asking is what are the steps you all would take at restoring this truck? Obviously that is a tough question since you all aren't here with the truck, but just a basic checklist of things to start with or check on would be a huge help if anyone has the time.

Thank you!

Old 08-20-2021, 03:17 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

Really depends on what kind of "restoration" you are talking about. Are you just looking to get it moving and stopping? As reliable as possible for any type of trip? Wanting to fix dents and dings/fix up the interior? Make it like new with everything working the way it should? Make a few modifications along the way?

Most parts should be readily available, from cosmetic to body, interior and mechanical, so you've got that going for you!

Old 08-25-2021, 03:06 PM

Thank you for the reply!

I want to make it into my daily driver first and foremost, so reliably running and driving is my first step. And along the way I would like to do a lift and some bigger tires for a bit of offroading, but that is not as much a priority for now (however if there are steps I can take more easily toward that end while getting it in shape again I would love to know).

Old 08-25-2021, 09:26 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

To get it running is one thing, to make it reliable is another.

To get it running, change all the fluids and check all electrical. Drop the tank and flush it good, if any rust get a new tank. Flush or replace the fuel lines. Rebuild the carb. Replace the distributor cap, rotor, spark plugs and wires. Make sure the engine turns over and check compression. Make sure the charging system and ignition systems are up to snuff. Bleed the brakes until you get clean fluid through all four. Check the bearings on all four wheels, to include axle seals.

These are just a few items off the top of my head, but should get you started. As for reliability, I would rebuild the entire drive train, brakes, new water pump, fuel pump, alternator, etc. Replace all bushings in the suspension, and rebuild the front end steering plus shocks. Again, this would be a start as you will find more that needs repaired/replaced.

You could do the lift as you are going through the suspension, just need a few more dollars. I wouldn't plan on this being a quick turn around. Any vehicle that has sat for 18 years will need just about every gasket and seal replaced, more than likely quite a bit of the electrical wiring and components replaced, etc.

My suggestion is to take your time, make a plan as to what you know you need to do, and knock those items out one at a time. That will get you driving it, then plan on the next step you want to take.

Old 08-27-2021, 12:15 AM

Alright this is a big help to start and to know the scope of what I'll be doing to it. I really appreciate your help and when it comes time, I'll be sure to update. Thank you again!