New Member Area Are you new to Blazer Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

1979 4WD Blazer 350

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2021, 12:56 PM
InMemoryOf is on a distinguished road
Talking 1979 4WD Blazer 350

Hello I have a 1979 Blazer 4WD with a 350(not sure what trans) a month before my father passed away in June of this year he gave me his truck. I know before he passed he did replace the transfer case and as of right now I need to replace the flywheel. My first goal is to get it started. It hasn't ran for a couple of years and not sure if there is any gas in the tank but that will be another obstacle. I've been watching a lot of video online and getting advice from my family mainly my grandpa. I know as of right now there is a laundry list of things that need to get done but first I will be starting with the flywheel. I'm not very knowledgeable with older trucks but from what I have been told they are super easy to work on. I'm hoping that through out this rebuild I'm able to gain some knowledge from others in this forum who have and have had own this type of truck and it will be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Old 09-07-2021, 01:36 PM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

Sorry to hear about your father.

Your transmission is most likely a TH350. Transfer case might be a NP203. If you can post a picture of the shifter, we could give you a better idea. Those trucks are super easy to work on. I've owned more than I can count, lol. Feel free to ask any questions you might have.

And welcome to the forum!

Old 09-07-2021, 06:37 PM
BF Veteran
DonL is on a distinguished road

Condolences.

Welcome to the forum, and a very nice ride you have there! Would love to see more of her!!

Old 09-07-2021, 07:30 PM

Thank you guys. The picture I originally posted is about 3 years old and it has been sitting since. I have to replace the entire interior because someone broke all 3 of the back windows and nature took its toll. There is alot of work that needs to be done but Im super confident I am able to get it done . Here is a couple pictures of the engine and the 4wd shifter. Its currently parked at my grandparents and I live 3 hours away but it's now become a priority to get done. I plan on it all taking a year to get done.

Old 09-07-2021, 08:00 PM
BF Veteran

That is, in fact, a NP203 transfer case. It's not exactly the first choice of hardcore rock crawlers, but there's nothing wrong with it. Looks like the whole Blazer is going to be a little bit of a project, but I've seen way worse. Keep us updated on your progress.

Old 09-10-2021, 05:05 PM

Would anyone happened to know what kinda of engine I have. My grandpa went out to town and when I ordered my parts I put my engine as 350 5.7L but my cousin is saying it an 5.3. Not to sure

Old 09-10-2021, 05:09 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by InMemoryOf
Would anyone happened to know what kinda of engine I have. My grandpa went out to town and when I ordered my parts I put my engine as 350 5.7L but my cousin is saying it an 5.3. Not to sure
It's not a 5.3 unless somebody swapped in a much newer engine (not likely). Probably a 350 (5.7).

If the underhood emissions label is still present, it will say. If not, what is the 8th digit of your VIN?

Old 09-10-2021, 10:36 PM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Behind the alternator where the head meets the block (at the front) there is a ledge. If you clean it you should be able to read some letters and numbers. If you will post them we can determine if the engine is original, or if not original - it will be part of the identification of exactly what it is. I'm guessing original engine (definitely not a 5.3), but the carburetor has obviously been changed to a different model.

The 1970's Blazers can be VERY valuable vehicles so please treat with care if the body is still nice as in the photo.

If you are planning to replace the flex plate (automatic trans flywheel), I can tell you how to do it without removing the transfer case or transmission.

Last edited by LesMyer; 09-10-2021 at 10:41 PM.
Old 09-11-2021, 09:09 AM
BF Veteran

I wasn't even looking at the picture when I said it probably wasn't a 5.3

It is definitely, 100% not a 5.3 after looking at it. It's probably the original engine, and it's probably a 350. But see if you can find the serial number like Les said. The two methods I gave you will tell you what engine it originally had, but won't account for it possibly having been replaced.

Old 09-11-2021, 09:51 AM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

This might be useful for your reference. If you have a partial VIN and Engine code stamped on that ledge, you're home free. Unfortunately if the block has been rebuilt and has been decked at a machine shop, these numbers are removed in the process.

https://nastyz28.com/chevy-engine-code-stampings.php

Last edited by LesMyer; 09-11-2021 at 09:54 AM.

Quick Reply: 1979 4WD Blazer 350