New Member Area Are you new to Blazer Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

1998 Chevy Blazer LS 2WD - Introduction "Heather"

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2024, 06:07 PM
Beginning Member
mrgaskill is on a distinguished road

Hello,

I can't fathom how much time I've spent on this forum reading/learning. In March I became the owner of a 1998 Chevy Blazer. In June of this year, my 2001 Ford F-150 finally bit the dust at over 300k. The Blazer's name is "Heather", in honor of the dear lady I purchased it from. You guys are Blazer fans/nerds. I'm about to go down tune up highway at 103k. I'll post a thread on that. I'd like feedback on some items that come to mind I'd like to perform. Before this Blazer, I didn't know much. I still don't, but I've come quite a distance in a few months. My entire Blazer log enclosed. More to come. Tons of ODB2 scans. Introduction!! )

KNOWN ITEMS REPLACED (Previous Owner/Current):
  • Serpentine Belt - 49,446 9/15/00
  • Starter - 66,623 11/07/02
  • AC Compressor/Air Dryer Assembly/Orifice Tube - 67,661 09/11/02
  • Headlight Switch Assembly/ Headlight Switch - 68,274 01/08/03
  • Battery/Serpentine Belt/Belt Tensioner - 68,346 01/21/03
  • Alternator - 71,646 09/02/03
  • Idler Arm/ Lower Ball Joints - 79,007 10/04/04
  • Thermostat/Water Pump/ Coolant Flush - 79,006 10/07/04
  • Heater Core - 79,696 12/06/04
  • Distributor Seal - 85,661 2/22/06
  • Rear Engine Seal - 86,043 3/29/06
  • AC Servicing P134A Refrigerant - 86,949 5/30/06
  • Wiper Motor - 92,642 10/26/07
  • Air Filter/Grease Fittings - 98,002 9/30/11
  • Battery Cable End - 98,228 02/03/12
  • Spark Plugs/Wires/DistCap/Rotor/Fuel Filter/ 2 Front Wheel Bearing Hub - 99,620 05/15/14
  • Fuel Filter - 69,899 5/14/03
  • Washer Hose - 100,492 10/01/15
  • 02 Sensors (B2S1/B2S2) and Purge Valve - 100,655 10/14/15
  • Wiper Fluid Hose - 100,883 12/11/15
  • Left Side Mirror - 101,275 08/04/16
  • Battery - 101,603 03/15/17
  • Idler Arm/Pitman Arm - 102,138 5/3/18
  • Vent Valve Pigtail/Canister Vent Valve - 102,469 01/28/19 *CURRENTLY DAMAGED 6/21/24
  • Oil Change/Filter - 04/28/19 (Replace at 105469 mile)
  • New Battery/Alternator - 04/06/24
  • New Tires - 05/19/24 Wrangler Radial
  • Front Brakes/Rotors - 103,141 06/09/24
  • Rear Brakes/Rotors - 103,400 06/18/24
  • Driver Rear Brake Caliper - 103,400 06/18/24
  • Brake System Flush - 103,400 06/18/24

KNOWN ISSUES:
  • Intermittent non-start issue. First noticed 06/12/24. No crank. Resolution has been jump start. Creates instant start. Battery has power. Noticed issue where I could drive 13+ miles, turn off engine, and come back no crank no start. Vehicle has power the entire time.. Charged battery overnight on 06/14/24. Issue has largely not been present. Has occurred 1-2 times as of 06/27/14. Verified Alternator charging battery (14.4v)

THINGS THAT COME TO MY MIND TO CHECK/REPLACE AT 100K FULL TUNE UP:

ITEMS TO CONSIDER:
  • Vehicle was not driven for four years until now.
  • All fluids sat for fours year (Oil/Fuel/Differential/Coolant/Power/Brakes)
  • Suspected fouling of components based on not being used/stagnant. Age is a consideration as well. Vehicle seems to run rich (based on fuel economy, exhaust smell). Averaging 8-9 mpg best estimate.
  • Current ODB2 Scans show ABS issues (see below), but clear of any other codes.
  • Visually verified vacuum hose degradation. (I.E. Vent Valve Pigtail/Canister Vent Valve disconnected and hose rotted).

CHECKLIST:
  • Oil Change/Oil Filter
  • Check Spark Plugs/Wires
  • PCV Valve Check/Replace
  • Air Filter Replace/Clean Air Intake
  • Clean Throttle Body
  • Check/Replace O2 Sensors
  • Clean MAF Sensor
  • Fuel Pressure Check
  • AC Refrigerant Check
  • Fuel Filter (Check/Replace
  • Fuel Injectors (Check/Replace)
  • Grease all fittings (underbody)
  • Lubricate Suspension (Leaf Springs/Etc)
  • Locate/Resolve vacuum leaks/hoses
  • Fuel Cap Pressure Check/Replace
  • Purge/Refresh Coolant
  • Purge/Refresh Power Steering Fluid
  • ABS Refresh (if applicable)
  • Parking Brake Actuator (Driver Interior) / Clean & Lubricate (Will Not Engage)

KNOWN ODB2 SCAN ITEMS:
  • C0226 (Status HISTORY - LF TCS channel will not move)
  • C0222 (Status HISTORY - Rear ABS channel in release too long)
  • C0221 (Status HISTORY - RF ABS channel in release too long)
  • C0225 (Status HISTORY - Rear ABS channel motor free spins)
  • C0223 (Status HISTORY - LF ABS channel motor free spins)

WANTS BUT NOT NECESSITY:
  • Install keyless entry and remote start system (including car alarm)
  • Replace OEM Car Stereo and speakers (Touchscreen Single DIN/Non-Fancy Speaker Replace/Wire Check). Known issue with either speakers and or radio/wiring.

My mechanical aptitude is close to 1 (perhaps 0.75), on a scale of 10 but in no means capable of safely disconnecting components and putting them back in working order without breaking something in the process. I preface this because I know my limitations. I'm not going full "Yeehaw" on anything without backup and a warm cushy feeling. With a vehicle being 28 years old I doubt I''ll ever find it either. At this point in time, this is my daily driver. Everything I do is Level 0-1. Maybe I'll graduate? Who knows?

Just glad to be here amongst you Blazer/S10 heads. It's quite the cool club to be in.

More to come. If you can provide wisdom/knowledge, it's much appreciated. Not asking to be a resource drain.

Old 06-28-2024, 12:39 AM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enoughchristine_208 will become famous soon enough

Welcome! Wow, what a great looking Blazer and a great start on keeping her around for long time.

Have you found the sticky thread with the list of known Blazer issues? There are two on that list that you might want to consider addressing.

The first is the remote oil-filter/cooler lines. Having to replace these because they are leaking is so common, it is almost a right of passage for any new Blazer owner. I have not heard of these failing catastrophically except once. The one occasion occurred to me with a 92 2-dr 4wd Blazer I once had. And it was not the hoses that were so bad but rather the o-ring between the block and the adapter. This caused a large oil leak but not so big I could not drive it a few miles to a shop for a repair. I did have to bring extra oil to be safe.

The second issue to address would be the lower intake manifold gaskets. The 4.3L motors of the late 90s were notorious for some having the lower intake manifold gaskets failing so that coolant would be dumped into the lifter valley, drain into the oil pan, and then get sucked through the oil pump to the rest of the engine. This can ruin an engine super quickly. There are several writeups on doing this repair with recommendations for the proper upgraded gaskets to use. As soon as I heard of this issue, replacing the gaskets was my very next fix.

Old 06-28-2024, 05:23 PM
Beginning Member

OMGSH!! Christine!! I feel like an awkward fanboy here!!! I've read a ton of your articles/threads!!! Your scope of knowledge on the Blazer platform is way impressive to say the least!! When I procured Heather (my Blazer), I was totally lost. This forum and YouTube have schooled me quite a bit. I've learned a lot from your experiences!! Between you and guys like GeorgeG, I've been a sponge for knowledge. Very grateful and appreciative!!I struggle with my skillset doing mechanical repairs/install stuff, but I want too!! I've been an IT nerd for my adult career and never automotive, so all of this is very new to me. Thank you very much for the suggestions with oil filter/cooler lines and the intake manifold gaskets!! I've already started researching. I need all the help I can get!! "Heather" drives really well. She was babied/treasured before I got her, and I am ardent about keeping that legacy. I wish the Blazer wasn't my daily driver so I could deep dive, but at present, it is. I'm going to procure some small 4 cylinder something or another for daily commutes in the future so I can have ample time to ensure good repairs/maintenance. I had a very interesting moment this morning while driving to work (though not unexpected). I had a CEL come on for P1441 Evaporative Emission Control System Continuous Open Purge Flow. I know my vacuum hoses or shot, probably more. Not happy about it, but eat the elephant one bite at a time right?

You Rock!!!

Old 06-28-2024, 05:29 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enoughchristine_208 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by mrgaskill
OMGSH!! Christine!! I feel like an awkward fanboy here!!! I've read a ton of your articles/threads!!! Your scope of knowledge on the Blazer platform is way impressive to say the least!! When I procured Heather (my Blazer), I was totally lost. This forum and YouTube have schooled me quite a bit. I've learned a lot from your experiences!! Between you and guys like GeorgeG, I've been a sponge for knowledge. Very grateful and appreciative!!I struggle with my skillset doing mechanical repairs/install stuff, but I want too!! I've been an IT nerd for my adult career and never automotive, so all of this is very new to me. Thank you very much for the suggestions with oil filter/cooler lines and the intake manifold gaskets!! I've already started researching. I need all the help I can get!! "Heather" drives really well. She was babied/treasured before I got her, and I am ardent about keeping that legacy. I wish the Blazer wasn't my daily driver so I could deep dive, but at present, it is. I'm going to procure some small 4 cylinder something or another for daily commutes in the future so I can have ample time to ensure good repairs/maintenance. I had a very interesting moment this morning while driving to work (though not unexpected). I had a CEL come on for P1441 Evaporative Emission Control System Continuous Open Purge Flow. I know my vacuum hoses or shot, probably more. Not happy about it, but eat the elephant one bite at a time right?

You Rock!!!
OK, you are making me blush! I'm happy to hear that my posts here have had an audience and have possibly been helpful.

Like you said, just do a little at a time and soon you'll be tacking bigger and bigger repairs. You've already done quite a bit, and with the help of others here, such as GeorgeG, you'll be doing even more soon enough.

Be sure to keep us posted!

Old 06-28-2024, 06:47 PM
Beginning Member

If I may Christine, as a grateful fanboy, where did you get all of your mechanical prowess? I suspect you've been working on vehicles since you were a kid. I've read a lot of your posts. You're so insightful, educated. You always want to look to the experts right? Tag you're it. You are definitely schooled in the Blazer platform. It's awe inspiring really. Your write up on the HVAC vacuum diagram really set the blueprint for what I'm going to do with the vacuum hoses (and definitely appreciate the OD and ID too!!). I was so lost before I found that thread.

Very grateful and appreciative!!

Old 06-28-2024, 07:00 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by mrgaskill
If I may Christine, as a grateful fanboy, where did you get all of your mechanical prowess? I suspect you've been working on vehicles since you were a kid. I've read a lot of your posts. You're so insightful, educated. You always want to look to the experts right? Tag you're it. You are definitely schooled in the Blazer platform. It's awe inspiring really. Your write up on the HVAC vacuum diagram really set the blueprint for what I'm going to do with the vacuum hoses (and definitely appreciate the OD and ID too!!). I was so lost before I found that thread.

Very grateful and appreciative!!
As for where I got my skills, I grew up watching my father repair his car. I'm an old GenXer who had parents who were kids during WWII, so I was taught to be pretty frugal. Along those lines was never buying a new car and fixing anything you can.

I then got a STEM degree and the mechanical problem-solving of auto repair dove-tailed with my education pretty well.

Basically I'm a nerd who learned to turn wrenches. LOL

Old 06-28-2024, 08:11 PM
Beginning Member

You've helped me so much learn this system based on your threads/articles along with others. I am a fanboy. I truly am. Thank you!!!

Last edited by mrgaskill; 06-29-2024 at 10:08 AM.
Old 07-03-2024, 06:36 PM
Beginning Member

Well, tack on another. My passenger side mirror assembly broke off. I think someone hit it, or 28 years of time finally came to fruition. Plastic cracked clear in two. Hanging by the electrical wire. I've done the redneck duct tape fix to keep it together but in the humid hot southeast? It just doesn't hold. The past 2 days I've been flopping in the wind despite best effort. I have an entire assembly on order coming in on hopefully Friday. Not cool driving down the road and your mirror is flapping. I'll take the door panel off and get on with it. I have epoxy from Harbor Freight, but at this point so late Im not apt to monkey with it. It's bloody hot/humid here. Tennessee summers (yay!, says no one ever). It's curious how duct tape will hold magnificently in cooler weather (morning), but in 90+ degrees and humidity it's all bollocks and isn't worth a damn. Holds for 10 minutes max at best.

I'm taking care of two birds with one stone though. Potentially. The passenger side mirror controls were not responsive. Hoping they engage once the kit is installed. Not avid on taking off the door panel off but have to, and I may swap speaker while I'm at it. Anyhow, it must be done. Gives me the ability to clean all sensors/sockets too with electrical cleaners. There's no redneck auto on this one. Next onward is the EVAP ODB2 code. Eating the elephant. )