New Member Area Are you new to Blazer Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

'95 Blazer 4X4

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 10:54 PM
TZFBird is on a distinguished road
Default '95 Blazer 4X4

Hey, names Tyler. Just picked up a 95 Blazer with 135K miles off a kid for $400. It's not in the best shape, but nothing some time and a decent amount of money can't handle.

So far here's what's wrong and what I've done already in the 4 days it's been around.

1: Transmission is toasted - In process of removal for a rebuild(I'm nursing cuts from attempting to reach bellhousing bolts. Have the lower 4 out at least)
2:Removed grill, bumper and pass. fender/mirror because it was involved in a small accident. Radiator support needs a small amount of tweeking on the pass. side as well.
3: Both front doors need hinge rebuilds.
4: Removed idler arm since it has some play in it that lets the center-link flop up and down about 1/2".
5: Cooling system is full of rusty/chunky brown fluid, so I'm sure that's been neglected for at least 5-10 years. - Pulled radiator and started flushing it out. I'm just hoping I don't have to do headgaskets as well.
6: Not sure if I should just find another drivers door as well since it was in a minor accident before this last one that left the door repaired with Bondo.
7: Needs an alignment since outter half of the front tires are down to the wearbars. Rest of tire looks good and rears are decent.
8: U-Joints
9: Tune-Up

All-in-all I'm hoping to end up with a decent Blazer for under $1000.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to end up unbolting the transfer case from the transmission, but I was hoping not to. Doesn't look like I have much of a choice I suppose.

Wish me luck. Craigslist should score me all the body parts at least.

Last edited by TZFBird; 04-15-2010 at 01:01 AM. Reason: Work List
Old 04-14-2010, 11:34 PM
TomSawyer is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the forum! Sounds like you have your hands full. One step at a time though and you should have a nice ride. Getting to those top bolts on the tranny can be tough! I rebuilt my tranny and ended up separating the body from the frame and it made it sooo much easier. The chilton manual suggests this method and its not that difficult if you have access to an impact driver. Some folks say disconnecting the exaust pipes helps enough. Any way I think you'll spend more than just $1000 depending on whats wrong with the tranny. My rebuild was $700 in parts (I went the whole 9 yards though with new planetary gear sets, sprags, Beast Sun Shell, oil pump, and everything) and the labor was $300 (700r4 and I pulled it and took it to a friend and reinstalled it myself). Good luck with her!!!!

Last edited by TomSawyer; 04-14-2010 at 11:47 PM.
Old 04-15-2010, 12:10 AM
Starting Member
sifd4x4 is on a distinguished road

sounds like a nice little project to put back together. It definitely sounds like alot of work and probably more than 1000 dollars but I hope you get lucky. If your looking for any kind of particular part id try LMC truck since I have always had great service from them. Good luck

Old 04-15-2010, 01:26 AM

I've done a 700R4, 4T65e-HD(GM FWD), and an A141e(Toyota FWD). I'm hoping to get it back to factory (with beast shell and Vette Servo).

This isn't to bad, just time consuming since I havn't bought a manual for it yet, so it's a lot of looking and feeling to find what needs to come off and what doesn't. Pretty satisfied with the way things are put together so far.

HONESTLY... who puts torx on a distributor cap?

Old 04-15-2010, 09:39 AM
Unlimitedsp is on a distinguished road

Welcome

Old 04-15-2010, 06:05 PM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

Welcome to the forum from Canada!

If you have any tech related problems please search first, then if you don't find your answer post it in the appropriate board.

Old 04-15-2010, 06:12 PM
BF Veteran
MTopper will become famous soon enough

Welcome to the forum and good luck with the rebuild

Old 04-15-2010, 10:15 PM
Beginning Member
manekDC2_ is on a distinguished road

one thing to note i recently did on mine... replace your intake manifold gaskets with fel-pro metal ones... the old nylon GM are crap!!

the brown coolant stuff is more then likely old contaminated dex-cool - aka death cool... flush that crap out and just run the good old green stuff...

happy modding buddy!

Old 04-16-2010, 12:12 PM

That was my thought on the coolant, but just never know what can show up when I flush it out. Maybe that's plugged up some holes and I'll be leaking everywhere. Intake gaskets are sure to follow. I noticed there was green coolant globs on the starter, so they may have added bars leak to fix something.

Thing are progressing along nicely. Just waiting for someone to help me carry the trans down to the basement.

Old 04-16-2010, 12:18 PM
Beginning Member
manekDC2_ is on a distinguished road

^ yea the brown could be from the dex and green stuff mixing.. hook a garden hose up and let that crap flow for like 30mins...

get the felpro metal gaskets, sorry i would post you the part number but i lost it...

Quick Reply: '95 Blazer 4X4