New Member Area Are you new to Blazer Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Been a Long Time

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2021, 09:35 PM
Beginning Member
forestghost07 is on a distinguished road
Default Been a Long Time

Hi friends, I feel like a newbie here
I'm a bit ashamed to admit this is my 1st visit in 8 years; I still have my '99 Blazer (just 90,000 mi. on it) but 2 other car brands took over my life and pushed Blazer into semi-hiding under a tree. Driven less than 2000 miles since 2013. The 2 other brands are classic British sports cars, Triumph and MG; I now have a busy shop to care and feed and preserve them.

I'm now hoping to use Blazer as a tow vehicle and trying to restart the love I had for it (orig. owner and it was a custom build order, 1 of a kind). I'm faced with so many electrical and body issues it's exhausting just thinking about it; every repair is gonna be a PITA Im sure, and some Blazer parts are discontinued.

As an auto tech who deals with the quirks of 40 - 70 yr old handmade cars, I try to work things out myself but I may need Blazer help from you guys as I attempt to get it close to like new again. Some of the probs:

HVAC air intake and evaporator clogged w/ 20 yrs of leaves and dirt (I'm farming this one out to another shop) ... needs frt wheel bearings (4TH TIME) ... A/C compressor (5TH TIME!!!) ... window motor and switch ... power seat switch (cost is outrageous) ...rear window wiper motor ... all 8 speakers rotted ... bad rain leak, water goes under driver side carpet ... on and on. I won't even dare try the sunroof LOL.

So wish me luck, I'll try to post my progress and anything I learn, everyone stay well!

Old 05-03-2021, 10:19 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

Welcome back and good luck with bring the Blazer back to it's former glory.

Old 05-04-2021, 02:54 AM
error_401 is on a distinguished road

Welcome back.

Old 05-04-2021, 09:30 AM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

Good luck to you, and welcome back. If you're used to working on those British cars, your Blazer's electrical problems should be nothing, lol.

Reminds me of the old mechanic's joke:
Why do the English drink warm beer? Because they have Lucas refrigerators.

Old 05-04-2021, 01:30 PM
Beginning Member

Hi Tom thanks for reply! Haha I know all the lame Lucas jokes ... and believe it or not, in 11 yrs involvement I've found the main prob with Lucas electrics was (is) the CAR OWNERS!! So many old Brit cars were (are) left just sitting for ages, rarely driven and just short runs,and the inevitable corrosion bugs invade the old-school connectors. Plus the poor cars were NEVER serviced properly (butchered is more like it). Yes, Lucas can be faulted for using steel rather than copper or brass wire terminals, but cost was a factor ... and now they are supplied in stainless so 99% of Lucas issues are history, glad to report. Their starters and alternators were built like a vault (my '72 MGB with 343K miles still has its originals, for real!), and their wiring was highest grade copper.

I hope you're right about I shouldn't be afraid of Blazer electrics - you've given me a bit more confidence thanks. I'll try to keep y'all posted on this adventure. Motor and drivetrain (5 sp) are fine thank goodness ... stay well!

Last edited by forestghost07; 05-04-2021 at 01:35 PM. Reason: added text
Old 05-04-2021, 07:31 PM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

You'll be fine. There are a ton of smart people here who love to help. Some of them are really good with electrical stuff, even. If you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask.

Old 05-16-2021, 03:41 PM
Starting Member
SusanFox is on a distinguished road

Welcome back Tom!I'm newbie here.Nice to meet you!!!

Old 05-17-2021, 12:32 PM
Beginning Member
vanr is on a distinguished road

Welcome Back-to the tune of "Welcome Back Kotter"

Old 05-18-2021, 05:33 PM
Beginning Member

Thank you all for the warm welcome! As of today my Blazer is in the care of an S10 fanatic who knows them inside out ... rehabbing the sloppy steering, HVAC, wheel bearings etc. My own shop (MG, Triumph, Austin-Healey) is full and I have no time or GM factory tools to deal w/ all that; sometimes you just gotta farm work out. I'll have enough to do trying to fix elec probs when it's back ... updates coming.

Old 05-18-2021, 06:06 PM
BF Veteran
DonL is on a distinguished road

Looking foward to the updates, looks like a nice ride from your other threads!

Quick Reply: Been a Long Time