New Member Area Are you new to Blazer Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Family Vehicle?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 01:55 PM
Jeepm@n is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Family Vehicle?

Ok I know you guy's will flame me but I only drive Jeep's. Wrangler's and Cherokee's. The last S-10 I owned was a 1994 4 door Blazer LT. My soon to be wife has asked me to sell my XJ Cherokee and get her a four door 4WD blazer with the moon roof. She wants one with the anti-lock brakes and the whole works. Could I get your opinions as to what to watch out for as problem areas and good things to get on the Blazer? I do get to keep my other Jeep's for off-roading so serious off-roading she will not allow me to do, but what she won't know won't hurt her. I would be towing a 4200lb pop-up camper with it and possibly my 4-place ATV trailer, if I can't take my other XJ. Thanks and flame me at will or give me some input.

Old 05-29-2008, 03:00 PM
Blazer Forum 2009 Ride of the Year Winner
nj4x4blaze has a spectacular aura aboutnj4x4blaze has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: Family Vehicle?

Welcome to the site. I love jeeps. They are great for trails. As for the blazer only thing really that causes for concern are the normal wear and tear items like balljoints. I can't really think of any other items that would be a cause of concern.

Old 05-29-2008, 03:02 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

When you're looking at a blazer...make sure to pop the radiator cap and look in the coolant resevoir tank. If the coolant system has been neglected, you could have some serious Dexcool sludging going on. If it's been driven alot like that, you're risking overheating issues --> gasket issues --> warped engine parts.

That's extreme...but you'll probably have a little bit of clumpy nasty in the tank/rad if the truck has a few miles on it....nothing a good flush won't fix . If you see low coolant/straight nasty...find another one.

Old 05-30-2008, 01:42 PM
Jeepm@n is an unknown quantity at this point

So pretty much the ball joints and the radiator fluid for neglect. Do the front torsion bar mounts go to hell like the older one's? How about the fuel pumps and regulator's? I had to do 2 fuel pumps and three regulator's on my 94 with the Vortec 4.3 all in a year. Did Chevy solve that issue? Is the dash holding up for the most part? Not like the digital dash that went out after being 4-5 years old? Sorry for all the questions. Just a little nervous after the 94 Blazer I had gave me so many issues and being it was only at 61000 mile when I bought it. My Jeep Cherokee I've had for 6 years and have only done front brakes and a battery due to the age of it. I currently have 215,000 miles on it and it runs and looks like new yet.

Old 05-30-2008, 06:00 PM
972DRBLAZER is an unknown quantity at this point

welcome to forum. i have a 97 and havent had any serious problems(knock on wood). 130k and runs like new.