New Member Area Are you new to Blazer Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Greetings from Alberta Canada

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2022, 03:35 PM
BF Veteran
DonL will become famous soon enough

I think an old member along the name of celburn_red, or close to, found that a dodge transfer case was along the same lines as ours, but with a different out put. Believe he needed a chain and gears to rebuild his.

I could be wrong, but I'd check out his build thread...

Old 12-13-2022, 05:10 PM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by DonL
I think an old member along the name of celburn_red, or close to, found that a dodge transfer case was along the same lines as ours, but with a different out put. Believe he needed a chain and gears to rebuild his.

I believe you're thinking of Cleburne Red, and probably this thread where he rebuilt his transfer case.

Old 12-13-2022, 05:23 PM
Beginning Member
Skunkedgorillaz is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by El_Beautor
Man, that sucks! You should be able to swap in the same model transfer case from any '98+ S-series truck (Blazer, Jimmy, S10, or Sonoma). Is yours the NP233 or NP236? NP233 is a 3 button 4WD (2hi, 4hi, 4lo) while the NP236 is the 4 button autotrac which adds an automatic 4wd option.

There are also some models of these transfer cases that are stronger, but off the top of my head I don't have that info. A search on the forum will probably show you how to find or build/upgrade the stronger versions.
Don't believe i have any of those Transfer Cases in this rig. The currant TCase has no tags only a rear tail end stamp.

the truck was sold to me with being equipped with an NP241/231 case. I believe it a 241 case withadded planetary gears from a 231?? This blazer doesn't have the factory vacuum hooked up. It's been converted to cable floor shifter for the Tcase.

So believe I should be good to grab a NP241 Drivers drop, with my imput bolt pattern and spline count.

Was hoping to have the Transfer Case out of the rig today, but kids christmas concerts and work have gotten In the way, hopefully ill have some time tomorrow morning to pull it and see exactly what I'm dealing with.

Old 12-13-2022, 05:27 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by DonL

I'll have a look over his posts. Thanks the the leads

Old 12-13-2022, 05:45 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by El_Beautor
Man, that sucks! You should be able to swap in the same model transfer case from any '98+ S-series truck (Blazer, Jimmy, S10, or Sonoma). Is yours the NP233 or NP236? NP233 is a 3 button 4WD (2hi, 4hi, 4lo) while the NP236 is the 4 button autotrac which adds an automatic 4wd option.

There are also some models of these transfer cases that are stronger, but off the top of my head I don't have that info. A search on the forum will probably show you how to find or build/upgrade the stronger versions.

Front LeatherHeated/power sest upgrades
can see the added transfer case floor shifter mounted between the power/heated leather front seats. The original push button dash 4x4 buttons are obsolete in this blazer.

Old 12-17-2022, 09:16 PM
Beginning Member

Well after getting the case out, and cruising forums I think I know what I'm dealing with.

Case is actually an NP231C from S10. 5bolt mount and 27 spline imput. With 32 spline output on the tcase with the 6 planetary gear swapped in from an NP241 case.

Now I'm toying with the idea 💡, of possibly trying to bash together a case using one or parts from an np231j from a Jeep. I've got a couple laying around. Will have to look into tomorrow and check out what cases I have.

I know there are a few similar threads on this topic floating around.

Anyone have any 1st hand experience with this.

Old 12-18-2022, 01:54 PM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

Can the transmission tailhousing (or the whole transmission) be changed to one from a full-size truck, so you could use a complete 241 transfer case?

Old 12-27-2022, 03:50 PM
bikerider is on a distinguished road

Sweet Blazer. The lift, wheels/tires and the hood look really good. That's too bad about the transfer case. It'll be interesting to see what remedy you come up with.

Old 12-27-2022, 05:19 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by bikerider
Sweet Blazer. The lift, wheels/tires and the hood look really good. That's too bad about the transfer case. It'll be interesting to see what remedy you come up with.
Pulled the Tcase b4 this -40 cold snap we just had and worked on it inside. Luckily for the most part everything inside the case was in pretty good shape. I ordered shift and clutch for pads. I have alot of jeep parts from previous projects kicking around and had a few NP231J tcases kicking around. They all share the same casting #'s so I confirmed it and ended up pillaging parts mainly the rear case. And ended up using that to rebuild my broken case.

So for under $100cdn I was able to patch together my old case and just finished slinging it back up under the blazer yesterday. Still waiting on my rear drive shaft which needed the double cardon joints rebuilt. Had to send it off to be rebuilt and unfortunately won't get that back till after the new year. So only booting around town with front wheel drive atm but luckly everything was able to work out snd not cost an arm and a leg

Old 12-27-2022, 06:15 PM
bikerider is on a distinguished road

It really pays to keep spare parts. Nice.

Quick Reply: Greetings from Alberta Canada