New Member Area Are you new to Blazer Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Hello everyone!

Old 02-19-2008, 08:20 PM
1995_MT_BLAZER is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hello everyone!

recently i picked myself up a clean little 95 blazer. ive been learning things from this forum for weeks, and figured it'd be beneficial to be able to ask my own questions . anyways i want to do some work on it, and turn it into a camping machine. i want something that is tough enuf to handle rough terrain, but dont want to go wreck it in serious mud bogging conditions. any tips, tricks and ideas would be much appreciated, and i look forward to getting to know everyone a bit better!

something thats been bothering me, is how hard it is to find a rear mounted spare tire carrier, if anybody knows where i can find one id love to know!

THANKS!

Old 02-19-2008, 08:29 PM
BF Veteran
user 1016 has a spectacular aura aboutuser 1016 has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: Hello everyone!

Welcome!! I made a tent for the back of my blazer....(don't use it anymore)..as for the rest of your questions..I'm too lazy to look them up for you! ha ha ha haha!

Old 02-19-2008, 08:31 PM

haha alright thanks for the input! what sort of design did you use for the tent?

Old 02-19-2008, 09:00 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

First thing first, build a recovery bag. Get a nice sturdy bag, get some rachet tie downs, tow straps, bungee cords, and a good tie of rope from lowes! Then get an E-tool from ebay (10 bucks), and some basic tools, sockets, and wrenches, jumpers, anything else you might need out in the woods. Then use one of those bungees and strap it to the back of the truck behind the wheel well. Best adivce I ever got

THEN start putting together some camping gear.

Old 02-19-2008, 09:04 PM

Thanks for all these awesome tips! but for future reference, its not the camping gear im worried about [8D]its the mods i wanna do to my blazer to get me where i wanna go! lol. basically i wanna know what sorts of visual and/or functional mods are gonna get me from A to B and over some rough terrain in style. but i really do like the idea about the recovery bag, aside from my toolkit and jumpers i would be SOL in most situations, im definitely gonna use that!

Old 02-19-2008, 09:08 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

Might wanna look into shackles to lift the rear end up, and play with the torsion bars to get the front end up, but there's a whole set of cons to match. I want a 2' body lift to get the body up a bit for some new tires, and better approach/departure angles.

31's are a popular upgrade if you like trimming your fenders a bit, or if you lift first, no trimming required!

Old 02-19-2008, 09:13 PM

i like the idea of a couple three inches of lifting, but not so much the idea of cranking my torsion bars. i was thinking of putting 2-3" blocks between my axle and leaf springs to gain the lift in the rear, but no idea what to do for the front. im not a huge fan of body lifting it either, because then i have a pretty good size gap between my body and frame to fill up with crud and cause extra corrosion. ive got some new wheels and tires on the way, and since i work at a les schwab, i get em cheap [8D]but until i figure out what to do about the lift, im gonna try and squeeze in some 30 9.5 15's under there, if i can get that without rubbing, ill be happy . if anyone has a better idea for a lift im open to suggestions! lol

Old 02-19-2008, 09:14 PM

by the way, the blocks between the leafs and axels were a buddy's idea and i dont know how well it would even work, please critique it! lol

Old 02-19-2008, 09:22 PM

how about some ideas for an exhaust system? i dont want super loud! but i do want something thats gonna give me a nice sound along with a bit of performance enhancement, but i dont want it to interfere with my ability to sneak into a campsight in the middle of the night either. any preferences for a brand/series?

Old 02-19-2008, 09:25 PM
lennyblazer is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the forum. These blazers are really tough stock, I have gone thru stuff with worn highway tires that my friends with nobby lifted jeeps couldnt get through. Also I now have 29" BFG AT's on the truck with no lift and no rubbing that brought it up a half an inch and I have never run into problems with getting stuck now. A recovery bag is a great idea, definately having a shovel and tow strap is a good idea.

Blocks will not work since the springs are mounted below the axle (so you would actually be lowering it). The only lift for the rear is either 1-2" shackles, or an add a leaf which will also get you between 1 and 2" of lift. As for the front pretty much you can only crank the T-bars without going big on all the relocation bracketry found in a 5-6" lift kit (which runs about 1,700-2,000 before install).

Otherwise for the rear tire carrier, you would have to custom mount that, as those only came on two door models. However RCars2 added one to his truck, so I am sure he could help you out with that.

For the exhaust, there arent too many direct kits for our blazers other than dynomax and gibson. Otherwise most members seem to get a magnaflow or flowmaster 40 series welded on at a local auto garage.

Otherwise, sounds like some good plans on the blazer. You should post up some before and after pics once you get things setup right. And again welcome to the forum, if you have any questions just post up.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hello everyone!