New Member Area Are you new to Blazer Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Hello From North Texas!

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 12:33 AM
HotRodHearseGuy is on a distinguished road
Default Hello From North Texas!

Howdy everyone,

Wanted to make sure I dropped in to introduce myself. Name is Frank and this is my first Blazer and first that's a smaller than fullsize type vehicle. Its also my first Chevy in about 10 years again. Picked up my '98 Blazer LS 4x4 in August 2012. Bought it with some known issues, but didn't know those issues were going to turn into stacking the bearings and replacing the engine 3 weeks later. Bought a rebuilt 4.3 Vortec for it that had been built by a guy who builds Pro Mod/Pro Outlaw drag cars for a living and its been reliable, but have started itching for that V8 rumble.

I live in a small rural Texas city that's 23 miles from the Oklahoma border and am a retired custom car/truck builder, dealing mainly with street rods and street machines. In fact, the Blazer is the newest thing I've ever owned personally. Even when I had my own shop, our parts hauler was a 1974 Cadillac Hearse!

As mentioned, I've got plans to "upgrade" to a '96-'99 5.7 Vortec V8 and have been doing my research and have located a 52,000 mile unit out of a '98 Suburban that I've purchased for the swap. I do have some questions regarding EXACTLY what I need for motor mounts. I'm getting the COMPLETE engine, ALL accessories, brackets, exhaust manifolds, engine wiring harness and ECM. Is there anything else I'm needing? I won't be starting this engine swap until probably late September or early October as I'm currently involved in a rather unique car restoration in the Saint Louis, Missouri area and won't be finished with it until Mid-September.

Things I'm wondering if they will need to be addressed that I haven't already read:

Exhaust system - will other manifolds be necessary or will the stock 5.7 Vortec work and then run a true dual exhaust?

Motor mounts - have read I can "reverse" the 4.3 mounts and use them on the 5.7 or do I need other mounts?

AC Compressor - Read there is clearance issues with the hood and the AC compressor and that I'll need to do a 2" body lift. Why then is there no clearance issues with a lowered Blazer?

I have several other things I want to do with and to my Blazer, Lil' Stinker and hopefully will be able to find out where I can locate the parts I'm needing. I also look forward to being a part of this community and please feel free to ask anything!

Old 08-07-2013, 01:07 AM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

Welcome from Utah.

Old 08-07-2013, 09:02 AM
Crackers is on a distinguished road

Welcome! I also used to build/restore street rods etc. I joined here to research for my next project also. I'm putting a 68 440 wagon body on a Blazer chassis. I'm going the other way for right now though, smaller motor with better mileage and 4x4.

Old 08-07-2013, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Crackers
I'm going the other way for right now though, smaller motor with better mileage and 4x4.
I was reading your post in one of the other areas and sounds like a pretty cool project you've got going. I'll have a nice 4.3 Vortec that has been bored .030" over with .030" shaved heads if you're interested. I wanted to go with the V8 a year ago, but wasn't aware at the time (read needed truck back on the road ASAP), so ended up putting in this 4.3 instead, but I'm somewhat limited as to what all I can tow currently, so having the V8 will help with that, plus I just prefer the V8 over the V6.

Old 08-07-2013, 11:41 AM

Thanks for the Welcome, Thogert! Looking forward to being here!

Old 08-07-2013, 01:15 PM
Jasongr81 is on a distinguished road

Welcome from Ohio. Hook'em HORNS!

Old 08-07-2013, 04:08 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

Another Texas member!! welcome!

Good luck with the V8 swap

Old 08-09-2013, 08:08 AM
95BlazenLT is on a distinguished road

Welcome from Michigan...

Old 08-10-2013, 02:45 PM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

Welcome from Alberta. I'll be sure to watch for your build progress.

Old 08-11-2013, 09:16 PM
gojorg has a spectacular aura aboutgojorg has a spectacular aura about

Welcome from New Jersey

Quick Reply: Hello From North Texas!