New Member Area Are you new to Blazer Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

HEY - FROM LONG ISLAND, NY

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 11:08 AM
MIDGET_RACER is an unknown quantity at this point
Default HEY - FROM LONG ISLAND, NY

Just a quick HELLO from Long Island, NY/USA where regular gas is currently $4.10 USD per US gallon (YUK !!!) and seems to increase on almost a daily basis.

My new (to me) ride has97K miles on the odometer.

Thanks for a GRRRRREAT site.
I've gleaned a few good tips from here so far.

Of course i'll be ooking for tips on how to improve MPG as the price of fuel increases to rise.

Old 05-24-2008, 12:46 PM
davtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant future
Default RE: HEY - FROM LONG ISLAND, NY

[sm=hiya.gif]from across the pond lnown as Long Island Sound lol. Gas is just over 4 bucks over here in ct. Not all too much you can do to increase gas mileage tremendously. Just keep up on oil changes and tune-ups are a good thing. You could look into a good cold air intake (don't forget the heat shield or it not worth anything), and the biggest one of all is keep the tires inflated to proper pressure. The flatter the tire = more power used = more gas used.

Old 05-24-2008, 12:59 PM
2002XTREME is an unknown quantity at this point

shout out from selden!!! Your next town over neighbor...

Old 05-25-2008, 09:23 AM
Starting Member
95Blzr is an unknown quantity at this point

Welcome to the Site!

Patchogue Here!

Old 05-25-2008, 12:27 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

I have no idea where all those cities are!

So...hello from Raleigh, NC!

Old 05-25-2008, 04:22 PM
972DRBLAZER is an unknown quantity at this point

welcome

Old 05-25-2008, 09:22 PM
MIDGET_RACER is an unknown quantity at this point

THANKS folks!!!!!

Another fairly obvious MPG tip that many don't think of is wheel alignment.
If they're not properly aligned you're actually pushin' them down the road, instead of rollin' them down the road.

This pretty ride that I bought is driving me ABSOLUTELY NUTS.
More problems (it seems) than I can shake a stick at.
Solve oneand more show their ugly head.

The first one(s) I knew about before I bought it. I'd discoverd them looking the truck over. -- They were that someone (a shop that I"ll leave unnamed) put all new ball joints in it and broke all the rubbers while doing so .. plus, when they burnt all the rivets out (that held the old ones in) they failed to protect the axle boots -- leaving one with quite a few pin holes. ---- All new ball joints and a repair boot and an alignment solved that.

Second -- I quickly discoverd that it had no heat. I open the radiator cap and found all this greenish/brownish gunk floating around. It wasalso in &coating the inside of the expansion bottle too. YUK!!!!! It seems that some fool had mixed Dex Cool and regular anti freeze (maybe the previous owner - maybe one of those quickie oil change places - I'll never know) plugging most everything up with this greenish gunk. A definite NO NO!!! Lots of plain flushing and the heat works, greenish gunk is really deminishing, but not yet fully gone -- so it's still an ongoing (as time is avialable) task. If I can't clear it up with just plain flushing, I'll resort to trying the GM Technical Service Bulletin 99-06-02-012D (April 9, 2002) which is designed to clear up problems caused by poorly maintained Dex Cool (not mixing the two). The only problem there is that the flush (GM Part Number 12436500 or it's Prestone equivalent) is no longer available -- BUT I've found that it can be readily made the using proper amounts of two common chemicals -- one for the flush & one to neutralize it).

Third -- The first time it rains the front windshield wiper motor gave up. Was it the module or ther motor? Don't know, as I replaced the whole deal to be sure.

Fourth-- Leaving work one day, it fails to start. Cranks, but won't fire. A little troubleshooting tells me that it's the ignition switch. A bit of a task, including removing the upper & lower dash front facia panles, the steering column coverand pulling the steering wheel to get the key switch portion out (to replace the electric portion)and that too is done.

Fifth -- Service Engine Soon (SES) light comes on. Scan tool comes up with an Evaporative System problem. Replaced the gas cap (rubber seal looked a bit funky)the SES lights goes off by itself and wasOK for about 50-60 miles & now it's back on again and is howing the same code fault -- meaning that wasn't the problem. Still have to troubleshoot that.
BTW - the most common cause of the Evaporative System fault code is some one failed to tighten (until it clicks) the gas cap.

Last (SO FAR)-- The A/C system was not working. -- I charged it yesterday, including a UV leak dection dye ("just in case") -- Well (of course) it leaked down overnight from the compressor. Not from the front seal -- not from where the hoses attach -- but seeminly from some where in the rear of the case itself. Never seen one leak there. Could it be somehow cracked, maybe by someone doing more sloppy work? -- Anyhoo, I'm on the hunt for a good used one ora rebuilt onefrom a "reputable" source.

I've only owned this ride for a month now and it's presented me with more problems than my old ride did in the 10+years I owned & drove it. I bought this older ('97) ride to save a few bucks (HA!!).

OH WELL -- I still like it. (I think?)

I hope 'ya all enjoyed BOTH the Indy 500 and the Coca Cola 600 today.
I sure did!!!!

Old 05-25-2008, 10:28 PM
davtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant future

Hope you get everything worked out. Sounds liek you got a bunch of projects which could be fun if you have some spre time. I always love tinkering around with my truck.