New Member Area Are you new to Blazer Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

New to Blazer

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2019, 09:46 AM
SRIslash is on a distinguished road
Default New to Blazer

hello fellas, I recently acquired a 96’ Blazer LS 4dr. The wife needed more room to carry the 3 hounds than a 2dr Yaris could provide.
i run a 98’ Astro and had a 92’ S-10 pickup years back so I am real familiar with working on this series.
The Blazer has a Easton locker and 3:73 gears. All stock except for the new front end steering components. It has 300k on it and still running good.
I am here seeking any knowledge that may help with fuel consumption and power (it drives like a heavy slug).
I’m not afraid of reading or asking questions.
Shawn Reid
Vancouver BC

Old 01-19-2019, 01:21 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

Welcome to the forum!

Other than making sure you have a good tune up, there's not much you can do to improve fuel economy or power. These trucks are heavier than most people think (drove mine across the scales, empty, at 4,800 lbs) and even though it's a V6, it's a fairly large V6. Before my lift and tires, I would struggle to hit 17-18mpg mixed highway and city.

Old 01-19-2019, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by cleburne red
Welcome to the forum!

Other than making sure you have a good tune up, there's not much you can do to improve fuel economy or power. These trucks are heavier than most people think (drove mine across the scales, empty, at 4,800 lbs) and even though it's a V6, it's a fairly large V6. Before my lift and tires, I would struggle to hit 17-18mpg mixed highway and city.
Thanks for the reply cleburne

Yeah on the hwy it is not too bad but around town... my 98 Astro is not much different. Different gears would be the trick but that’s a bit extensive. Perhaps power pulleys and a couple small things will help. I’ll read thru and see if there is anything interesting.

thanks, Shawn

Old 01-19-2019, 04:22 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

Well, whatever you try, you should do a decent write up and document the results. Make it all scientific-like lol. Would be of great benefit to everyone here

Old 01-20-2019, 12:23 AM
go chevy is on a distinguished road

Welcome aboard... cleburne red is right, this is a very active community with all kinds of questions and suggestions, advice, and help if at all possible. I did a little at home test a month or so back on fuel additives I posted for others too see on improving fuel economy... My 98 4x4 Blazer showed an improvement of 4 too 5 miles per fill up after I started using SeaFoam. I just added a bottle in the gas tank and not only improved my mpg but it made my 4.3 engine run and idle much smoother.

Old 01-20-2019, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by go chevy
Welcome aboard... cleburne red is right, this is a very active community with all kinds of questions and suggestions, advice, and help if at all possible. I did a little at home test a month or so back on fuel additives I posted for others too see on improving fuel economy... My 98 4x4 Blazer showed an improvement of 4 too 5 miles per fill up after I started using SeaFoam. I just added a bottle in the gas tank and not only improved my mpg but it made my 4.3 engine run and idle much smoother.
I will look into that.
Years back I had a 92 S-10 pickup with 4.3 and the 5speed. I did test low grade fuel and Chevron 94. I did find the increased mileag3 and power to be worth the price, so I would think additives may help as well.

There will be a few things to try without spending tons o cash and I will report.

i love this truck an$ so many at wreckers parts are cheap

Old 01-20-2019, 06:49 PM
go chevy is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by SRIslash

I will look into that.
Years back I had a 92 S-10 pickup with 4.3 and the 5speed. I did test low grade fuel and Chevron 94. I did find the increased mileag3 and power to be worth the price, so I would think additives may help as well.

There will be a few things to try without spending tons o cash and I will report.

i love this truck an$ so many at wreckers parts are cheap
I forgot too mention that I only use premium gas, 92 octane every time I hit the gas pump...

Old 01-23-2019, 06:04 AM
error_401 is on a distinguished road

And "welcome to the Blazer Forum" from us Moderators as well.