New Member Area Are you new to Blazer Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

New - Dayton, OH

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 07:14 AM
Beginning Member
Ogre762 is on a distinguished road
Default New - Dayton, OH

Hey guys, just bought a 99 Blazer 4x4 a couple weeks ago and have been lurking this forum ever since. Anyways, I bought it for CHEAP because it needs a decent amount of work. The week I bought it, had to do inner/outer tierods and an idler arm. I'm beginning to hate it already as now I am having fuel issues but at 200k miles, I would expect as much. I'm sure it's on it's 5th or 6th fuel pump by now . Anyways, that's my 'Newbie post'!

Old 01-20-2012, 07:56 AM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

Welcome from VA and hang in there we all have those issues but I would say for 200k your doing pretty good!!!

Old 01-20-2012, 07:57 AM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

Welcome to the pack from michigan

Old 01-20-2012, 09:05 AM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Ogre762
Hey guys, just bought a 99 Blazer 4x4 a couple weeks ago and have been lurking this forum ever since. Anyways, I bought it for CHEAP because it needs a decent amount of work. The week I bought it, had to do inner/outer tierods and an idler arm. I'm beginning to hate it already as now I am having fuel issues but at 200k miles, I would expect as much. I'm sure it's on it's 5th or 6th fuel pump by now . Anyways, that's my 'Newbie post'!
Welcome from Enon. Was your truck built in Moraine? That's cool.. huh.

If you've been lurking a while I'm sure you got the message: Buy the best or do it twice; Warranties dont mean crap!
If you're on East side area, I've got a good shop I can recommend in Fairborn for the big stuff.

Old 01-20-2012, 11:35 AM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

Welcome from Utah.

Old 01-20-2012, 12:00 PM
atvwarrior will become famous soon enough

Welcome from New York .

Old 01-20-2012, 04:23 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

Welcome from NY

Old 01-22-2012, 09:17 AM
Beginning Member

Thanks guys!

Pettyfog- Yeah, I'm thinking (and hoping) its just the wiring, because the previous owner said the wiring harness was messed up because he got a fuel pump and the connectors weren't the same so he had to splice in a new connector. I know that is common any time you put a new pump in these trucks, but seeing how some of the other 'repairs' were completed, I wouldn't doubt the wires haven't been twisted together and wrapped in duct tape. As always, the fuel pump stopped running right after I filled the tank. I've had intermittent issues with the pump, so I check fuel pressure and it primes to about 62 psi, when idling, it sits around 55psi and spikes into the 60s when you stab the throttle.

Old 01-22-2012, 09:45 AM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Ogre762
Thanks guys!

Pettyfog- Yeah, I'm thinking (and hoping) its just the wiring, because the previous owner said the wiring harness was messed up because he got a fuel pump and the connectors weren't the same so he had to splice in a new connector. I know that is common any time you put a new pump in these trucks, but seeing how some of the other 'repairs' were completed, I wouldn't doubt the wires haven't been twisted together and wrapped in duct tape. As always, the fuel pump stopped running right after I filled the tank. I've had intermittent issues with the pump, so I check fuel pressure and it primes to about 62 psi, when idling, it sits around 55psi and spikes into the 60s when you stab the throttle.
Read here a while and you'll find there's only two readings that count: Pressure at prime, where yours looks good.. and leakdown time. Both with engine off.

Doesnt hurt to check it idling and see how it responds to goosing throttle.. yours is about right. But that check was how you did it with carbs. It was important as hell then.

As to wiring splices. Yes. The new connector is arranged 1x4 instead of the OE 2x2 which had contact problems. And dont just twist wires together, use butt splices if you must but the ones that came with my pump were too large for the stripped wires and the crap crimp tool almost everyone has wont make a good connection. Best is to solder, next best and easiest is to use wirenuts like in house and appliance wiring. Fill it with silicone grease and conn will last forever or until you want it apart.

Old 01-22-2012, 11:02 AM
Beginning Member

It leaks down fairly quick, drops to about 10psi in 4-5 minutes. With the throttle test, I just wanted to see if the fpr was actually working. Anyways, where it is now is 0 fuel pressure while cranking. The fuel pump won't prime at all, especially when it's cold. I am going to make sure the grounds are cleaned up and solder all the splices to see if that helps, if not, I'll rule out all the wiring issues, and get either an ACDelco pump (without sending unit) or the complete Delphi unit.

Quick Reply: New - Dayton, OH