New Member Area Are you new to Blazer Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

New to Forum with my "new" $350.00 1991 blazer

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 11:38 PM
Beginning Member
chevsublaze is on a distinguished road
Default New to Forum with my "new" $350.00 1991 blazer

I recently picked up a 1991 blazer that was said to have "lots of problems" was told it needed a new starter and they didn't know if it would run even with that. On the day I went to pick it up I took a car trailer and a starter to see if I could get it to drive on the trailer. after installing my $18.00 starter it fired right up with a couple gallons of gas and ran "ok". I ended up driving it home as I forgot to put my ramps back in the trailer....oops. Glad I took my wife with me to get it... lil blazer made it home and the minute I pulled in the driveway it quit idling and would "buck" badly when trying to drive. I put in a new intake manifold gasket, and replaced some vacuum hoses, fuel filter, and plugs + wires + cap and rotor.. The little bugger runs like a champ has only 73,XXX original miles "verified to be original dash cluster" I know the previous owner (original owner) well and she never did anything to it. Almost felt like I ripped it off but she is happy to see me fixing it up and loving it like she used to. I've begun replacing miscellaneous other details as they come up but other than the ball joints and tie rods I've already done I can't see any reason to fix what ain't broke.. Going to take it on a 400 mile run at the end of the month for a turkey hunt so we'll see how it does.

Old 04-19-2011, 07:09 AM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the Forum.

Old 04-19-2011, 05:10 PM
Starting Member
nineTnine is on a distinguished road

That is a very clean Blazer, good find. Welcome to the forum

Old 04-19-2011, 06:06 PM
atvwarrior will become famous soon enough

That is a sweet looking blazer , welcome to the forum .

Old 04-19-2011, 07:02 PM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

Welcome, and that's a nice find. Looks to be in good shape too!

Old 04-19-2011, 09:57 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks everyone.. It looks clean on the outside and the body is in pretty good shape, but the rest of it was neglected. I tackled the driver's side upper and lower ball joints today and founf that the CV axle needed to be replaced. it wasn't clicking but the boot had been torn and run without any grease inside for so long that it was real sloppy in the joint. I hope that was the little growl I heard, the wheel bearing / hub assembly seemed ok. I have plans to paint it OD green as soon as I finish all the important things. next is a cv boot on passenger side and if still have a growl i'll do some hub assemblies. I took several pictures of the ball joint project.. I'll post them up in the tech section.

Old 04-19-2011, 10:10 PM
cbr995 will become famous soon enoughcbr995 will become famous soon enough

Looks great for $350. Yeah with the work you're doing it still sounds worth it for the price and how clean it looks outside.

Old 04-20-2011, 09:35 AM
BF Veteran
DKSDAD is a jewel in the roughDKSDAD is a jewel in the roughDKSDAD is a jewel in the rough

Welcome from New York, it looks like you got yourself a sweet deal there.

Old 04-20-2011, 09:37 PM
Beginning Member

does anyone know if there is a lightbar I can mount to the tow hook location up front? I think it would look nice to have one that comes up kind of in front of the bumper so I can mount some off road lights.

Old 04-20-2011, 09:42 PM
Beginning Member

So I still have a slight "growl" I can hear while driving.. it doesn't change no matter which direction I'm turning and seems to be in sync with wheel speed. I don't think it's the tires because i had the exact same noise before I put the new tires on. I replaced the left CV axle yesterday, The hub assembly appeared to be good, turned nicely (not free spinning but not grinding or noisy) so what else could be making noise? I've already changed fluids in all 3 boxes and didn't find any shavings in anything, removed rear diff cover this evening and nothing looks out of the ordinary????? what gives?

Quick Reply: New to Forum with my "new" $350.00 1991 blazer