New Member Area Are you new to Blazer Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

New guy from North Georgia

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 07:19 PM
Beginning Member
Bertbart is on a distinguished road
Default New guy from North Georgia

I just picked up a 2001 S10 Blazer Xtreme. It's white with a dark grey cloth interior. The PO has replaced the side mirrors with SS mirrors I suppose because they look sporty, however they are not powered mirrors.
I also noticed it has a two chamber flowmaster muffler with one in and two out so it looks like duals. I came with a K&N air filter. The thermostat was stuck open and the system was nasty. I replaced the thermostat and flushed the system. I also replaced the radiator cap. I flushed the brake system and put DOT 4 fluid back and the brake reservoir cap had a broken tab so I replaced that as well. the vehicle had a 193,000 miles on it but it doesn't smoke or leak oil. The MPG sucks. It probably needs a tune up. It seems sluggish and down on power. Having never owned a 4.3 V-6 it may be normal. I'm used to the LS1 power on my 2002 Z-28 Camaro so I don't really know what to expect from my Blazer. It may need a new catalytic converter. When I punch it in neutral it is slow to build RPMs. Same on the highway. It just feels like it's not breathing.

It passed emissions testing with flying colors

I've thought about buying a Hypertech programer to tighten up the shifts as they are also sluggish and not crisp and maybe advance the timing a tad. Does anyone had any feedback on Hypertech devices you'd care to offer?

Also the ABS light and brake light come and go at random. I've been reading on the forum about that problem and it seems very common.

The fuel gauge needle has a mind of it's own. I feel sure it's the sending unit. Read about a fix somewhere on the Net. When the fuel gets a little lower I'll drop the tank and pull the unit and see what's going on.

I look forward to reading about and seeing all of the nice modded trucks here.

Last edited by Bertbart; 05-09-2012 at 07:20 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-09-2012, 08:37 PM
Beginning Member
ga_blazer is on a distinguished road

What part of N Ga?

Old 05-09-2012, 08:42 PM
Beginning Member

Forsyth County...Gainesville address...near Cumming and Dawsonville.

Old 05-09-2012, 09:29 PM
Beginning Member
ga_blazer is on a distinguished road

I'm so close to the TN line that it's hard for me to think of that area as "North" Georgia lol.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:01 PM
Beginning Member

Well all of Georgia is North of Florida...LOL

Macon is middle Georgia...Atlanta is north of that and I'm 52 miles North of Atlanta.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:25 PM
gojorg has a spectacular aura aboutgojorg has a spectacular aura about

Welcome from New Jersey

Old 05-10-2012, 08:13 AM
Super Moderator
rexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the roughrexmburns is a jewel in the rough

Welcome from VA!

Old 05-10-2012, 09:35 AM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

Welcome from Alberta! I have a Hypertech programmer, and it worked pretty good for firming up the shift points. I used it for that and to reprogram for different gears and tires. Don't expect it to really make any changes in power though. It might make a small difference if it were on top of a bunch of other power add-ons and premium fuel, but on stock trim with regular fuel it won't make any noticeable difference.

Old 05-10-2012, 01:25 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

welcome from NY

Old 05-10-2012, 02:02 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by El_Beautor
Welcome from Alberta! I have a Hypertech programmer, and it worked pretty good for firming up the shift points. I used it for that and to reprogram for different gears and tires. Don't expect it to really make any changes in power though. It might make a small difference if it were on top of a bunch of other power add-ons and premium fuel, but on stock trim with regular fuel it won't make any noticeable difference.
You have confirmed my suspicions about the Hypertech programer.
Thanks,
Bert

Quick Reply: New guy from North Georgia