Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   New Member Area (https://blazerforum.com/forum/new-member-area-4/)
-   -   New from IL with a '98 (https://blazerforum.com/forum/new-member-area-4/new-il-98-a-43532/)

zeno0771 04-17-2010 11:18 PM

New from IL with a '98

Hey from NW Illinois (The Second Most Corrupt State In The Union). After having '94 and '95 4-doors for single-vehicle family stuff, I got myself a '98 2-door. 89,xxx miles with a history (CarFax said it was a fleet/rental at one time and someone definitely towed something with it). ATM it just came back from a front alignment/balance, new driver-side ball joints 2 weeks ago, and getting the trans checked out Monday (changed the fluid and filter the week I got it but it still smells burnt and gets confused on the 1-2 upshift when it's cold).

My plans for it are pretty typical I think: 3" lift/31's, ZR2 fenders, nerf bars, yadda-yadda. On this day I'm debating body or suspension lift (just for clearance, not doing any rock climbing). Opinions?

Eventually I may consider some extra HP...No small-block swaps (but that sounded like a great idea when I was a kid), but I noticed there aren't any head/cam packages for the 4.3 and that surprises me. Any ideas?

wlorton 04-17-2010 11:39 PM

Welcome from Peoria, there are rebuild kits, and hot rod.com might be a place to look, as they rebuild it bored out... and with a supercharger I believe broke 500hp....

Just take your time and scan here and see what you can find... Lots of good stuff....

zeno0771 04-18-2010 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by wlorton (Post 322486)
Welcome from Peoria, there are rebuild kits, and hot rod.com might be a place to look, as they rebuild it bored out... and with a supercharger I believe broke 500hp....

Just take your time and scan here and see what you can find... Lots of good stuff....

Thanks, I got a friend from HS living there...reminds me, I think I'm supposed to fix his computer :rolleyes:.

Yeah I remember the Hot Rod article. Not quite that ambitious. :icon_angel:

It just seems that with so many of these out there that the hardware support would be a little better. It's not first on my priority list right now but eventually I'd like to get a decent 230HP and good MPG with basic stuff like improving air flow and spark, as bolt-on as possible. Right now it's all about a 3" lift and 31x10.50's (basically a ZR-2 stance); I gotta look to see where the T-bars are in terms of adjusting right now and go from there, only had the truck for 6 or 7 weeks and still shaking it out. I'm leaning toward suspension lift and leaving the body where it is.

wlorton 04-18-2010 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by zeno0771 (Post 322537)
Thanks, I got a friend from HS living there...reminds me, I think I'm supposed to fix his computer :rolleyes:.

Yeah I remember the Hot Rod article. Not quite that ambitious. :icon_angel:

It just seems that with so many of these out there that the hardware support would be a little better. It's not first on my priority list right now but eventually I'd like to get a decent 230HP and good MPG with basic stuff like improving air flow and spark, as bolt-on as possible. Right now it's all about a 3" lift and 31x10.50's (basically a ZR-2 stance); I gotta look to see where the T-bars are in terms of adjusting right now and go from there, only had the truck for 6 or 7 weeks and still shaking it out. I'm leaning toward suspension lift and leaving the body where it is.

Check out the cold air intake options, and depending on the person, a ported throttle body, seafoam...... maybe headers and a full exhaust to breathe better....

truesmack 04-18-2010 09:30 AM

Hey, welcome to the forum from NW IL also, good luck with your blazer.

Sisk 04-18-2010 06:24 PM

Welcome from Canada!

TomSawyer 04-18-2010 09:49 PM

Welcome to the forum from Florida!

Unlimitedsp 04-19-2010 09:33 AM

WElcome from Pennsylvania

foxxie 04-20-2010 02:52 AM

Welcome from the North Island of New Zealand.