New Member Area Are you new to Blazer Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

New from IL with a '98

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 11:18 PM
zeno0771 is on a distinguished road
Default New from IL with a '98

Hey from NW Illinois (The Second Most Corrupt State In The Union). After having '94 and '95 4-doors for single-vehicle family stuff, I got myself a '98 2-door. 89,xxx miles with a history (CarFax said it was a fleet/rental at one time and someone definitely towed something with it). ATM it just came back from a front alignment/balance, new driver-side ball joints 2 weeks ago, and getting the trans checked out Monday (changed the fluid and filter the week I got it but it still smells burnt and gets confused on the 1-2 upshift when it's cold).

My plans for it are pretty typical I think: 3" lift/31's, ZR2 fenders, nerf bars, yadda-yadda. On this day I'm debating body or suspension lift (just for clearance, not doing any rock climbing). Opinions?

Eventually I may consider some extra HP...No small-block swaps (but that sounded like a great idea when I was a kid), but I noticed there aren't any head/cam packages for the 4.3 and that surprises me. Any ideas?

Old 04-17-2010, 11:39 PM
BF Veteran
wlorton has a spectacular aura aboutwlorton has a spectacular aura about

Welcome from Peoria, there are rebuild kits, and hot rod.com might be a place to look, as they rebuild it bored out... and with a supercharger I believe broke 500hp....

Just take your time and scan here and see what you can find... Lots of good stuff....

Old 04-18-2010, 01:27 AM
zeno0771 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by wlorton
Welcome from Peoria, there are rebuild kits, and hot rod.com might be a place to look, as they rebuild it bored out... and with a supercharger I believe broke 500hp....

Just take your time and scan here and see what you can find... Lots of good stuff....
Thanks, I got a friend from HS living there...reminds me, I think I'm supposed to fix his computer .

Yeah I remember the Hot Rod article. Not quite that ambitious.

It just seems that with so many of these out there that the hardware support would be a little better. It's not first on my priority list right now but eventually I'd like to get a decent 230HP and good MPG with basic stuff like improving air flow and spark, as bolt-on as possible. Right now it's all about a 3" lift and 31x10.50's (basically a ZR-2 stance); I gotta look to see where the T-bars are in terms of adjusting right now and go from there, only had the truck for 6 or 7 weeks and still shaking it out. I'm leaning toward suspension lift and leaving the body where it is.

Old 04-18-2010, 09:02 AM
BF Veteran
wlorton has a spectacular aura aboutwlorton has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by zeno0771
Thanks, I got a friend from HS living there...reminds me, I think I'm supposed to fix his computer .

Yeah I remember the Hot Rod article. Not quite that ambitious.

It just seems that with so many of these out there that the hardware support would be a little better. It's not first on my priority list right now but eventually I'd like to get a decent 230HP and good MPG with basic stuff like improving air flow and spark, as bolt-on as possible. Right now it's all about a 3" lift and 31x10.50's (basically a ZR-2 stance); I gotta look to see where the T-bars are in terms of adjusting right now and go from there, only had the truck for 6 or 7 weeks and still shaking it out. I'm leaning toward suspension lift and leaving the body where it is.
Check out the cold air intake options, and depending on the person, a ported throttle body, seafoam...... maybe headers and a full exhaust to breathe better....

Old 04-18-2010, 09:30 AM
Starting Member
truesmack is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey, welcome to the forum from NW IL also, good luck with your blazer.

Old 04-18-2010, 06:24 PM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

Welcome from Canada!

Old 04-18-2010, 09:49 PM
TomSawyer is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the forum from Florida!

Old 04-19-2010, 09:33 AM
Unlimitedsp is on a distinguished road

WElcome from Pennsylvania

Old 04-20-2010, 02:52 AM
foxxie is on a distinguished road

Welcome from the North Island of New Zealand.