New Member Area Are you new to Blazer Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

New to me

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 05:40 PM
Beginning Member
icculusjr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New to me

Hey everyone,

It is always nice to find these type of forums for us "do it yourselfers". I don't consider myself to be a mechanic by any means, but I will try anything. I will search and read for hours before I post usually.

My father was nice enough to give me his 1995 Blazer LT. It has about 164,000 miles on her, but that is less than the 205,000 my Toyota pickup has. It's a plus that it has leather as well. My father kept his truck meticulously and it is in great condition for the mileage. I have only had it for about a week, and I am starting on some of the things that just need to be done.

1. The engine temperature was hovering just above 100. It was brutally cold up in here in Minneapolis, but it still should have been above at least 160. I replaced the thermostat and it now operates in the normal range. By the way, that was a pain for just two bolts! There was a stabilizer bar that went to the belt tensioner that was perfectly in line with the two bolts. I couldn't fit a socket wrench in there, and I didn't have a 10 mm wrench that ratchets. I got it out, but it took about two hours when it should have taken 15 minutes.

2. Reprogrammed the keyless entry by jumping the red plug under the steering column.

3. I am going to do a tune-up including: plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel filter, air filter, and potentially sea-foam in the throttle body. I am not looking forward to this dreaded #3 plug, can it be any worse than this thermostat? I am going to post to find out what brands people recommend.
https://blazerforum.com/m_192178/mpa.../tm.htm#192178

4. Driver side mirror is cracked and shakes a little. The power mirrors don't work on either side so I need to look into that. I have already found a few suggestions, but I am going to wait until warmer weather so I don't snap any plastic clips in the door.

5. The CD/radio is original and the front speakers don't work until it has been running for about 20 minutes. Again, I can live with it until it is warmer, and I will replace it with something newer.

6. My father told me that the power seats needed to have the wire under the seat replaced because it was corroded. He said there was some water under there, but he sealed it up somehow and it hasn't been back.

7. There is a leak in the windshield washer system someplace. I have found some threads on this, and it may be as simple as the seal around one of the pumps right on the fluid tank because I did notice it was wet by one of them. I sure hope it isn't from the tube that goes back to the rear window under the seat.

All in all that is pretty petty stuff for a 95 with high mileage. Oh, it has a new transmission with about 2,000 miles on it.

Thanks for reading,
Jeff

Old 12-30-2008, 06:40 PM
Red Horse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: New to me

From one new member too another Welcome!
i'm in the same boat, I don't claim too be a mechanic but I'll give any repair my best try after learning all I can about the repair.
good luck and hope to see your progress on line here.

Old 12-30-2008, 07:05 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome! If you have any questions, just post up in the appropriate section!!

Old 12-30-2008, 08:34 PM
95blazerks is an unknown quantity at this point

Welcome and hey for #3 plug its too easy just move the sleeve over the steering shaft up out of your way, then when done put it back down.

mine was leaking in the back now i just removed it dont need it.

Old 12-30-2008, 08:44 PM
Byte Stryke is an unknown quantity at this point

welcome Aboard.
Its great when a truck has "character"
my 03 has developed a quirk with the power mirror on the passenger side... it still works, just hafta work with it a bit

Old 12-30-2008, 11:45 PM
BF Veteran
kiwiblazer is on a distinguished road

Welcome from New Zealand.

Old 12-31-2008, 02:34 PM
Beginning Member
icculusjr is an unknown quantity at this point

Nice forum, I like to see all of the welcome posts.