New Member Area Are you new to Blazer Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

New Member First Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 12:39 PM
Beginning Member
Always Something is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New Member First Question

Hello everyone. I am new to blazers and new to forums. I have bought a 88 S10 Blazer 4.3 TBI 4x4. I knew the transmission needed work or replaced but I was told the engine was just rebuilt. Turns out it may have a blown head gasket or cracked head. There is a local parting out a 96 Blazer with a 4.3 Vortec and a 4L60 transmission. Will these go into my 88? What mods would be needed? Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 02-08-2008, 01:00 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: New Member First Question

I don't believe the heads will match up to your engine, not sure about the tranny.

Old 02-08-2008, 01:09 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The engine and transmission are vastly different than that used in your truck.

Old 02-08-2008, 01:14 PM
Beginning Member

I was considering swapping the whole thing out. Engine and transmission. Not just taking the heads. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Old 02-08-2008, 09:50 PM
Beginning Member

So anyway the entire drive train is available. Does anyone know if this will work?

Old 02-09-2008, 01:15 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

Welcome to the forum.
As Kyle said "The engine and transmission are vastly different than that used in your truck."

This also means that the computer and wiring and probably the exhaust would be different.
It's not a job that I would want to tackle.

Old 02-09-2008, 05:39 AM
Beginning Member

Thanks. I have also read that the early 4.3 is more powerful or preferred? I will most likely rebuild this engine. What are there easy power gains while I'm inside? Cam? Pistons? I have to keep this project pretty cool to keep my son involved.