Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   New Member Area (https://blazerforum.com/forum/new-member-area-4/)
-   -   New Member saying hello, check out my Chevy (https://blazerforum.com/forum/new-member-area-4/new-member-saying-hello-check-out-my-chevy-68403/)

PhiladelphiaUnion 02-26-2012 10:41 AM

New Member saying hello, check out my Chevy

1 Attachment(s)
Brand new to this fourm and looking forward to the great info you guys and gals have to other. This is my 1996 Chevrolet Blazer LS 4X4 in the attachments. Its been sitting for the last year and i just recently put in a brand new battery and it started right up. I have to replace the radiator so im going with an aftermarket, no idea what brand though.(recommendations highly appreciated).

My main questions is when i start it up once or twice a week to keep the battery alive before the radiator is replaced,there is a great deal of white smoke coming from the exhaust. The gas and oil havent been changed in the last year so im hoping thats all it is, also did i mention i am a car NEWBIE. Im 22 years old so i have some general knowledge but if the more experienced members could through some advice my way it would be greatly appreciated!

What are things i should do to a vehicle that has been sitting roughly 11 months? thanks

Hunter_Zack_1994 02-26-2012 10:49 AM

what does the smoke smell like? if its a thick cloud and white that tells me that your burning oil...meaning your piston rings could be fried. check ALL fluid levels, and if the problem continues, go see your local mechanic. and as far as a radiator goes, just buy a factory replacement one. you dont need high performance unless you have big plans. look into lmc truck, gm, local buisness, or maybe even autozone/advanced autoparts.

PhiladelphiaUnion 02-26-2012 11:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
thanks for the quick response, it smells like normal exhaust i took a photo and there was a lot of water dripping out of the tail pipe. when changing the oil should i drain it first? im guessing that a good idea being it sat so long

DKSDAD 02-26-2012 03:31 PM

Welcome from New York. Change the oil, coolant, brake fluid, run the tank low and fill it with new gas. Run it not just at idle drive it for a while and get everything moving, flowing and see how it is.

bigbadblazer91 02-26-2012 03:51 PM

hi from Trenton, Ontario
best check in with any local off-road club or car club even, for some help
cheers

Hunter_Zack_1994 02-26-2012 06:45 PM

yes..lol you always drain the oil throughly before putting new in. and out of curiosity, is your enviroment cold? because in colder weather exhaust tends to be more visible, much like your breath. and as the other guy said, go ahead and change all the other fluids. but if you arnt mechanically skilled, you may want to have somebody else do the brakes. this way, they can bleed throughly, ensuring all of the air is out of the line.

and welcome to the website! i'm 17 and new as well

xgiovannix12 02-26-2012 07:00 PM

Welcome from NY

Thogert 02-27-2012 02:17 AM

Welcome from Utah.

PhiladelphiaUnion 04-07-2012 10:04 AM

hey y'all so its been a while since i posted on this but im making so,e progress today, im going to be installing a brand new radiator today. Does anyone know what size hoses i would need (part #?) i figure if im going to replace the radiator i might as well replace hoses, thanks everyone, pics of todays work will be posted withing follwing days.
brian

tibby 04-07-2012 01:57 PM

Welcome from NC.