New Member Area Are you new to Blazer Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

New Member saying hello, check out my Chevy

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 10:41 AM
PhiladelphiaUnion is on a distinguished road
Smile New Member saying hello, check out my Chevy

Brand new to this fourm and looking forward to the great info you guys and gals have to other. This is my 1996 Chevrolet Blazer LS 4X4 in the attachments. Its been sitting for the last year and i just recently put in a brand new battery and it started right up. I have to replace the radiator so im going with an aftermarket, no idea what brand though.(recommendations highly appreciated).

My main questions is when i start it up once or twice a week to keep the battery alive before the radiator is replaced,there is a great deal of white smoke coming from the exhaust. The gas and oil havent been changed in the last year so im hoping thats all it is, also did i mention i am a car NEWBIE. Im 22 years old so i have some general knowledge but if the more experienced members could through some advice my way it would be greatly appreciated!

What are things i should do to a vehicle that has been sitting roughly 11 months? thanks

Attached Thumbnails New Member saying hello, check out my Chevy-123.jpg  
Old 02-26-2012, 10:49 AM
Beginning Member
Hunter_Zack_1994 is on a distinguished road

what does the smoke smell like? if its a thick cloud and white that tells me that your burning oil...meaning your piston rings could be fried. check ALL fluid levels, and if the problem continues, go see your local mechanic. and as far as a radiator goes, just buy a factory replacement one. you dont need high performance unless you have big plans. look into lmc truck, gm, local buisness, or maybe even autozone/advanced autoparts.

Old 02-26-2012, 11:12 AM

thanks for the quick response, it smells like normal exhaust i took a photo and there was a lot of water dripping out of the tail pipe. when changing the oil should i drain it first? im guessing that a good idea being it sat so long

Attached Thumbnails New Member saying hello, check out my Chevy-1234.jpg  
Old 02-26-2012, 03:31 PM
BF Veteran
DKSDAD is a jewel in the roughDKSDAD is a jewel in the roughDKSDAD is a jewel in the rough

Welcome from New York. Change the oil, coolant, brake fluid, run the tank low and fill it with new gas. Run it not just at idle drive it for a while and get everything moving, flowing and see how it is.

Old 02-26-2012, 03:51 PM
Starting Member
bigbadblazer91 is on a distinguished road

hi from Trenton, Ontario
best check in with any local off-road club or car club even, for some help
cheers

Old 02-26-2012, 06:45 PM
Beginning Member
Hunter_Zack_1994 is on a distinguished road

yes..lol you always drain the oil throughly before putting new in. and out of curiosity, is your enviroment cold? because in colder weather exhaust tends to be more visible, much like your breath. and as the other guy said, go ahead and change all the other fluids. but if you arnt mechanically skilled, you may want to have somebody else do the brakes. this way, they can bleed throughly, ensuring all of the air is out of the line.

and welcome to the website! i'm 17 and new as well

Old 02-26-2012, 07:00 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

Welcome from NY

Old 02-27-2012, 02:17 AM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

Welcome from Utah.

Old 04-07-2012, 10:04 AM

hey y'all so its been a while since i posted on this but im making so,e progress today, im going to be installing a brand new radiator today. Does anyone know what size hoses i would need (part #?) i figure if im going to replace the radiator i might as well replace hoses, thanks everyone, pics of todays work will be posted withing follwing days.
brian

Old 04-07-2012, 01:57 PM
tibby has a spectacular aura abouttibby has a spectacular aura about
Default .

Welcome from NC.

Quick Reply: New Member saying hello, check out my Chevy