New Member Area Are you new to Blazer Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

New, from Northeast

Old 09-16-2011, 01:27 PM
Smitty Smithsonite is on a distinguished road
Default New, from Northeast

Smitty here from MA (unfortunately ).

I'm a motorcycle mechanic that works on pretty much anything with an engine. Only time my vehicles see a garage is for front end alignments. I handle everything else.

Been a fan of the S-series pickups & Blazers since '90 when I first got a '88 S15 pickup with a 2.5 4-banger, with only 17K on the clock. I beat the everliving crap out of that truck, & it continued on for years. Sold it in '93 with about 55K on it. I recently did a Carfax on it just out of curiousity ... and found it had been run up until '00 or later, with 140K on the clock! Not bad!

Back in '05 I picked up a '91 S10 Blazer for the wife as a winter beater. SHe drove that until '08 when I got rid of it & got her a '00 Jimmy off eBay from GA ... which turned out to be a rental - found out after the fact. It was the biggest lemon I have ever had the burden of owning!! I spend nearly every day under that pile, fixing something. Then, like clockwork, every time I was due for a sticker, the check engine light came on. I learned alot about OBD-II during those 2 long years. After being nickeled & dimed to death by that turd, I began parting it out, & picked up an '89 S10 Blazer as a replacement. The previous owner put in a brand new battery, water pump, fuel pump, & gas tank. I re did the front end, & front brakes. There was only 77K on the clock, but it was driven outside of NYC & was beat pretty good. We got one winter out of that engine, & I'm now in the process of installing the Jimmy's engine in the '89.

That saga can be found here: https://blazerforum.com/forum/genera...-begins-63094/

I joined the forum to gather some info, & post my progress to help out anyone else who may want to do a similar project in the future. I'll keep ya posted ....