New Member Area Are you new to Blazer Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

New From Northern Michigan

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 11:19 AM
Banned
assklown is on a distinguished road
Exclamation New From Northern Michigan

Hello all. I'm from nothern michigan (about 30 miles south from the bridge...that makes me a troll!)

I've got a 1996 Blazer LT 4 door 4wd with the 4.3. Age is starting to catch up to my baby.

I just took it to the shop to have a few things looked at and got an estimate (from a dealer mind you) of 1793 to fix a hand full of things wrong.

I work in the technology sector (computers, servers, printers, wiring, networks, etc) and am tired of paying someone to fix some of these things that go wrong. I am very mechanically savvy and can trouble shoot with the best of them in this area. Technology and cars are really not that different logically. Get a good set of directions, take your time and you can be successful.

I also love tools and gadgets. Power tools are the best.

Being a novice at cars I do have a couple of questions based on the report back I got from the dealership. Here is what they wrote:

Check delayed trans engagement. Had to add about 1 quart. Road test - scan check - check transmission function ok - Problem is trans fluid leaking into T-case adapter seal failure - estimate to replace 420 includes new adapter gasket seal, fluid.

GM Multi-point Inspection

Has loose steering idler arm/pitman arm est 448, engine oil cooler lines leaking est 335, lower intake leaking est 448, needs drivers door pins and bushing est 142
Based on that information what sort of tools will I need to pick up and how difficult are some of those to fix? I love excuses to buy tools. I have very little as far as car related tools would go. . .

Which is the most important to fix in order? I am on a limited budget after all.

Old 06-10-2010, 11:37 AM
Blazer Forum 2009 Ride of the Year Winner
nj4x4blaze has a spectacular aura aboutnj4x4blaze has a spectacular aura about

Welcome to the site

Old 06-10-2010, 11:39 AM
Banned

Thanks. I see there are lots of people from Michigan here...it'll be like a 3rd home.

Old 06-10-2010, 12:00 PM
84BlazerS10 is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the forum.

Old 06-10-2010, 01:12 PM
Beginning Member
Mikek1500 is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the forum. The door pins are the easiest to replace on the vehicle. With a buddys help, some basic hand tools and a good floor jack, it shouldn't take more than a couple hours for a novice. For the tranny fluid leaking into the transfer case, it's best to have a garage do that job. It's fairly involved and that's a cheap price for the job. As far as the engine cooler lines leaking, all depends on where the leak is. It could be the O rings on the lines which is a simple fix. If it's the line, you can replace them with patience. To replace the Lower Intake gasket, there's plenty of good articles here on how to do it. Good luck on your repairs.

Old 06-10-2010, 02:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mikek1500
Welcome to the forum. The door pins are the easiest to replace on the vehicle. With a buddys help, some basic hand tools and a good floor jack, it shouldn't take more than a couple hours for a novice. For the tranny fluid leaking into the transfer case, it's best to have a garage do that job. It's fairly involved and that's a cheap price for the job. As far as the engine cooler lines leaking, all depends on where the leak is. It could be the O rings on the lines which is a simple fix. If it's the line, you can replace them with patience. To replace the Lower Intake gasket, there's plenty of good articles here on how to do it. Good luck on your repairs.
The door pins I can have my mother in law do for free. She works at a body shop.

I've got plenty of reading to do and I have a few friends that are tech savvy with cars. I'll enlist their help as well. My first job is to start searching for online manuals and such. I believe i'll have access to Mitchel On Demand for repair manuals and such. That should be a big help.

Old 06-11-2010, 12:17 AM
BF Veteran
kiwiblazer is on a distinguished road

Welcome from New Zealand.

Old 06-11-2010, 12:46 PM
BF Veteran
wlorton has a spectacular aura aboutwlorton has a spectacular aura about

welcome!