New Member Area Are you new to Blazer Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Newbie checking in from Long Island, NY

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 02:36 PM
Beginning Member
NYC86ZC is on a distinguished road
Default Newbie checking in from Long Island, NY

Hello all,

I'm just checking in from Lindenhurst, NY. I picked up a 4 door 4X4 2001 Blazer LT for the wife. She's 8 months pregnant and her 2000 chevy cavalier 2 door Z24 just isn't going to be big enough. So, that's going and the blazer is here.

I picked it up off craigslist with 119k miles and runs decently. On the way home after purchasing it i realized the heat wasnt working. After doing a few searches online I figured it was some rust in the heater core. Sure enough after about 5 minutes of flushing it out brown/black crud was still coming out. Now it's blowing some nice heat.

The PO decided it was a good idea to "tint" the tail lights and corner markers. I think he went a little overboard because they're completely painted black. So, I used paint remover to get it off, but they're not looking too good anymore.

Both front doors need new bushings and pins for the hinges. They're sagging pretty bad.

The driver's side door needs a new interior skin.

The PO claimed the window motor was bad and that's why it wasnt going up or down. He was mistaken. Somehow the rivets that hold the windows motor mechanism popped and the arms got wedged together. It was a mess, but I got it working again.

There's a little play in the steering wheel, but it's not too bad.

The interior lights don't come on when the doors open, but that should be an easy fix ::knock on wood::

I think that sums it up for now.
Right now i'm looking for corner markers, tail lights and cloth charcoal drivers door skin.

Now a little about me. I have a few cars:
2005 WRX (intake, exhaust, springs, rims, tune, FMIC, wingless trunk, STI HIDs)
1987 CRX Hf converted to fuel injection, turbo, full suspension etc.
1992 galant vr4 AWD turbo 5spd basically factory rally car. FMIC, bigger turbo, injectors, springs, etc.

My father bought a 1994 astro van with the 4.3L brand new back in 94. Since i used it a bunch of times I'd help work on it as well. I'm no stranger to chevy's. I also had a 69 chevelle, 80 camaro...ok i'll stop.

Anyway, I'm just checking in to say hello and hopefully I can learn a bunch while i'm here.

Thanks!

Last edited by NYC86ZC; 10-05-2010 at 02:41 PM.
Old 10-05-2010, 02:59 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the Forum.

Old 10-05-2010, 04:24 PM
BF Veteran
DKSDAD is a jewel in the roughDKSDAD is a jewel in the roughDKSDAD is a jewel in the rough

Welcome to the forum from another Long Islander! I live in Wantagh.

Old 10-05-2010, 05:28 PM
2002XTREME is an unknown quantity at this point

Kooooool , long island starting to make sum waves here on the board all of a sudden..Hey what color is the blazer by the way? I have a set of stock replacement taillights for that year, if yours are somewhat repairable i`ll make an even trade with ya...maybe i can even help ya fix the other problems it has..

Old 10-05-2010, 10:03 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by DKSDAD
Welcome to the forum from another Long Islander! I live in Wantagh.
Thanks! I actually met the owner and bought it from him at the Wantagh train station parking lot. He has a business a door or two down from Mulcahy's. I had a softball game at Wantagh park and then bought it after the game.

Originally Posted by 2002XTREME
Kooooool , long island starting to make sum waves here on the board all of a sudden..Hey what color is the blazer by the way? I have a set of stock replacement taillights for that year, if yours are somewhat repairable i`ll make an even trade with ya...maybe i can even help ya fix the other problems it has..
It's black. Trust me, mine aren't salvageable. The PO really messed them up good. I found a set of used tails from a guy on CL who's out in Medford, but thanks anyway. He also has the exact inner door skin i need as well. Hopefully I'll pick them up on Friday.

Thanks for the offer with assistance, but i already fixed almost all the issues. I'll take you up on that offer when I run into a big issue that stumps me. I dont want to cash in on your help with an easy one.

This evening i replaced all the door hinge bushings and pins. Now the doors are closing evenly and sealing as they should.

Hopefully this weekend I'll finish up all the minor issues and it'll be ready to go for its maiden voyage.

Old 10-06-2010, 12:20 AM
foxxie is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the forum from New Zealand.
Got any pics yet of your ride?

Old 10-06-2010, 12:52 AM
BF Veteran
kiwiblazer is on a distinguished road

Welcome from another Kiwi.

Old 10-06-2010, 05:21 AM
Blazer Forum 2009 Ride of the Year Winner
nj4x4blaze has a spectacular aura aboutnj4x4blaze has a spectacular aura about

Welcome

Old 10-06-2010, 09:10 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by foxxie
Welcome to the forum from New Zealand.
Got any pics yet of your ride?
Sorry. No pics yet. I'll try to snap some this weekend when I have some time, but it's your average 4x4 blazer. Nothing special. It has tinted windows and that's about it as far as upgrades. It's for the wife, but i'll be using it to go on the beach to camp and surf. It'll also make regular trips to home depot while I'm working on the new house.

How does the blazer do in soft beach sand?

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Old 10-06-2010, 10:37 PM
BF Veteran
DKSDAD is a jewel in the roughDKSDAD is a jewel in the roughDKSDAD is a jewel in the rough

I have never had a problem on any of our beaches. Gilgo when it was open or Sore Thumb. Next fishing trip will be Democrate point on Robert Moses.

Quick Reply: Newbie checking in from Long Island, NY