New Member Area Are you new to Blazer Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Opps, never did introduce myself

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2019, 09:18 AM
go chevy is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by cleburne red
Man, I hate to hear all your troubles. My mom has macular degeneration also. She's had a few eye surgeries, and is currently doing OK, vision wise. She can't drive at night anymore, but during the day is fine.

I'm not a trucker, but I do have to keep a class A for my job, so I can definitely understand the hassle of keeping a medical cert. They'll let you know things you didn't know about yourself lol. Several guys I work with found out they needed glasses, and one guy finally got his sleep apnea diagnosed. He's much easier to be around now, wirh his cpap machine!
I had no idea you had a class A Mr Red You are right, keeping a medical card these days is a real challenge lol! From day 1 of my trucking career I always got a 2 year certification... Last time though I only got a 90 day card due to high blood pressure. Like a dummy, instead of finding a family Dr I thought I could beat it on my own... I have until the end of June before my unemployment runs out and then I gotta grow up again and get a job

Old 03-22-2019, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Trukntigger
Yea, they put up a new Loves east of here on 70 in Greenup about a year ago. Last place I worked we used nothing but Loves too. Midwest regional, loved it. Home every Friday and left out Monday. $1400 week guaranteed. 90% was drop and hook, all no touch. I miss it, good people to work for. Worked there for years. Ran nothing but IL,eastern IA,southern WI, IN, western OH, KY, TN, eastern MO. On rare occasions did special request for a customer and would go to say GA or TX or such. Owner was as shocked as I was when I lost my medical card like that.

Double A was a hilly beast at north end. Pretty scenic tho, I did like it in spring or summer just had a thing for not liking school bussing hours. Never could pass them when I really wanted too. From my house here I can see the Flying J sign up in air from backyard when the leafs are gone. That Pilot is one exit north/east up from mine. Like most of them I hate those fuel stops, lack of parking and space in a big way. You want your truck hit, park there.
I had a similar gig with my last job. I would leave the house Sunday around 4 pm and drive up to Brownsburg IN, little town on the west side of Indy and do a drop and hook and either head out to the St.Louis area or I went up around the Detroit area. 100% drop and hook no touch freight on both ends... I would run all week, 3000 miles or a hair more each week. I would get back home super early Saturday morning and take my 34 hour reset at the house. My company said they definately want me back once I get my self fixed lol!

Old 03-22-2019, 09:56 AM
Starting Member
Trukntigger is on a distinguished road

Chevy you a crazy guy. I got a buddy that been back and forth on his medical for blood sugars. Going to say it like I told him, not worth ignoring. Heck even Red mentions how finding out some of these issues is a good thing. Hope your getting that pressure under control.

Old 03-22-2019, 10:17 AM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

Sorry to hear about your issues. Getting older is no fun. Hopefully, your eyes will keep working for a long time to come.

I don't drive trucks any more, but I also need to maintain a Class A license for my job. I've had it for 34 years now, but I don't have a current medical card. Not that I didn't pass the physical, but I haven't taken it recently because I already know I'm half deaf and I'm a fatass so the doctor will want me to take a sleep apnea test. I'm probably only a couple of years from retirement, so I'm trying to put it off for a while, lol.

I buy cars the same way (based on body and interior condition) since I have no problem doing any required mechanical work. My body and paint skills, on the other hand, leave much to be desired.

Old 03-22-2019, 10:28 AM
Starting Member
Trukntigger is on a distinguished road

Oddly, I got to keep the Class A. Switched status to K restriction- intrastate only. No requirement to have medical for the endorsement, just to use it. Figure if they do come up with a cure I might be able to truck again. That body work is an art isn’t it? I cant even rattle can well.

Old 03-22-2019, 10:43 AM

Chevy you a crazy guy. I got a buddy that been back and forth on his medical for blood sugars. Going to say it like I told him, not worth ignoring. Heck even Red mentions how finding out some of these issues is a good thing. Hope your getting that pressure under control.
Living and working most of my adult life on the road made me this way lol!!! I am not telling you nothing you don't know It is a good living pay wise as you know, we raised all 7 kids, yep, 7 lol... 4 boys and 3 girls We currently have 11 grand kids and 1 on the way I am close though, not eating fast food all the time I have lost 20 pounds lol! I am not as tall as you at 6 ' 6, I am only 6 ' 2 and I weigh 285 now... I am trying to get down to like 215 or 220... Yep, I was a fat trucker and that caught up with me. It is fixable though, just gotta eat better and walk more

Old 03-22-2019, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Tom A
Sorry to hear about your issues. Getting older is no fun. Hopefully, your eyes will keep working for a long time to come.

I don't drive trucks any more, but I also need to maintain a Class A license for my job. I've had it for 34 years now, but I don't have a current medical card. Not that I didn't pass the physical, but I haven't taken it recently because I already know I'm half deaf and I'm a fatass so the doctor will want me to take a sleep apnea test. I'm probably only a couple of years from retirement, so I'm trying to put it off for a while, lol.

I buy cars the same way (based on body and interior condition) since I have no problem doing any required mechanical work. My body and paint skills, on the other hand, leave much to be desired.
Another class A holder That sleep apnea crap is another way for them to make money... There might be something to it, sure, but how does having a fat neck honestly affect driving a truck? Because you snore? You quit breathing in your sleep? Some guys love the cpap thing but how in the world can you sleep hooked to a machine is beyond me lol!

Old 03-22-2019, 04:36 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

Bah, its ok CR. I’m good, lots of people have it way worse. I lost my youngest brother end of summer last year to cancer, that was worse. (He was fighting it for years and he and all the family knew his time was getting short). Glad your mom doing better, not sure what surgery they did on her eyes tho, maybe cataract removal. Not cures yet for this. In extreme cases they can implant a camera but it tends to give tunnel vision and some other issues. I will say watch your own eyes if your mother does have it. This disease has increased chance of occurring if in your family history. My own mom is 76 and has been legally blind from it for years.
I believe it was some cataract removal, now that you mention it. I wanna say they put in some kind of artificial lens in her eye as well?

Also, there's some test they do at the eye Dr that can catch macular degeneration early, so I pay to have them do it every year when I get my annual eye exams.

Originally Posted by go chevy
I had no idea you had a class A Mr Red You are right, keeping a medical card these days is a real challenge lol! From day 1 of my trucking career I always got a 2 year certification... Last time though I only got a 90 day card due to high blood pressure. Like a dummy, instead of finding a family Dr I thought I could beat it on my own... I have until the end of June before my unemployment runs out and then I gotta grow up again and get a job
I work for an electric utility, and we have to drive class A trucks pretty often, so we're required to keep them.

I have high blood pressure as well. I'm on medication for it, though, so haven't had an issue with the med cert. I feel dumb being on BP meds at 34 years old, if I could lose about 40 pounds, and not eat like crap it might help out, but I haven't summoned the will power as of yet lol

Old 03-23-2019, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by cleburne red
I believe it was some cataract removal, now that you mention it. I wanna say they put in some kind of artificial lens in her eye as well?

Also, there's some test they do at the eye Dr that can catch macular degeneration early, so I pay to have them do it every year when I get my annual eye exams.

I work for an electric utility, and we have to drive class A trucks pretty often, so we're required to keep them.

I have high blood pressure as well. I'm on medication for it, though, so haven't had an issue with the med cert. I feel dumb being on BP meds at 34 years old, if I could lose about 40 pounds, and not eat like crap it might help out, but I haven't summoned the will power as of yet lol
I hear ya on the bad eating habits! I am 49 and let my weight get away from me... I am getting closer though, wife bought me a blood pressure machine from Wal Mart and I have been checking it every day. Last reading was 146 over 94. To get my card back I need to be 140 over 90 or lower...Then I can put my " big boy pants " back on and get back on the road before my wife kills me

Old 03-23-2019, 09:38 AM

Yea, they put up a new Loves east of here on 70 in Greenup about a year ago. Last place I worked we used nothing but Loves too. Midwest regional, loved it. Home every Friday and left out Monday. $1400 week guaranteed. 90% was drop and hook, all no touch. I miss it, good people to work for. Worked there for years. Ran nothing but IL,eastern IA,southern WI, IN, western OH, KY, TN, eastern MO. On rare occasions did special request for a customer and would go to say GA or TX or such. Owner was as shocked as I was when I lost my medical card like that.

Double A was a hilly beast at north end. Pretty scenic tho, I did like it in spring or summer just had a thing for not liking school bussing hours. Never could pass them when I really wanted too. From my house here I can see the Flying J sign up in air from backyard when the leafs are gone. That Pilot is one exit north/east up from mine. Like most of them I hate those fuel stops, lack of parking and space in a big way. You want your truck hit, park there.
Forgot to mention I use to stop there near your home at that Speedway on the south side of the highway. Love that Speedy Cafe food lol! They make a great philly steak and bar b que pizza

Quick Reply: Opps, never did introduce myself