New Member Area Are you new to Blazer Forum? WELCOME! Check in, tell us about yourself and your ride.

Thinking of Joining Team Blazer

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 07:25 PM
Chunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Thinking of Joining Team Blazer

Thanks for the welcome guys.

So I took the Blazer to work today and to run some errands after work. I think I can get used to it. Seats are very comfortable, I like the size, and it rides pretty good.

There's a little something weird about take of and stopping...almost a stutter bear stop/right at start that I need to figure out. They was a lot of brake dust on the drivers front wheel...much more so than on the passenger side. I think it might have a slightly stuck caliper or something, but it didn't pull to either side at all, so I not too sure yet - haven't pulled the wheel and looked.

Threw a wooden pallet and a wooden shelf in the back along with my tool boxes ...cargo room is pretty damn good with the seats down.

I took some pics today of it - what it looks like before I might own it.

Interior:

...at least the interior isn't red. Decent shape too.
And it holds plenty of the important stuff...

The Damage:

Paint is peeling on the roof rack. I think I might take that off anyway. I'd never use it, and it will clean up the look some.

Rear bumper has seen a bit of action.

Don't know what happened to the hood, but it's got a decent sized scratch through the pain across the hood.

So that's what she looks like.
I made an appointment with my mechanic to put it up on the lift and give her the once over to see if there is anything I need to know about. Pretty trustworthy shop, so I expect they'll let me know what they find and don't find.

Old 04-21-2008, 07:48 PM

I figured I put up some more pics of the other ones.
This might show why I'm so hesitant about getting any more problems to work on...
I've got my hands full already

They're all pretty much project cars in varios stages of completion/condition:

My pride and joy:

... I never bothered to take pics of the Ranger :no: why bother...?

Old 04-21-2008, 08:22 PM
Blazer Forum 2009 Ride of the Year Winner
nj4x4blaze has a spectacular aura aboutnj4x4blaze has a spectacular aura about

I like the color of the blazer

Old 04-21-2008, 09:59 PM
lennyblazer is on a distinguished road

I like the color of the blazer. Welcome to the forum. With the body damage, needing some work up front and maybe in the brakes; I would offer like 4,500-5,500. That is fairly low mileage. I have a 98 with 140,000 miles on it and its running strong, should easily last to 200,000. I would just check into the basic maintence items such as brakes, general tune up (plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel filter), trans fluid flush, differential fluid flushes, radiator and transfer case flush. Basically check what has been done and make sure to keep on top of that kind of maintence and you will have a quality long lasting truck. The blazer does real well in the winter snow (where I live averages 250" of snow a year). It also does fairly decent off road considering its a people moving SUV and not and offroading rig. Also if you do a tune up that should free up some mpg. My mileage is pretty similar to that of the ranger you are talking about. If you do a lot of short city trips (especially in snow and hills, don't be too worried if you see 12mpg everyonce in a while).

Old 04-21-2008, 10:03 PM
Starting Member
blzrls is an unknown quantity at this point

Welcome, sorry about the passing of your dad.

Old 04-22-2008, 12:30 AM
BF Veteran
kiwiblazer is on a distinguished road

Nice Blazer. As for your priode & joy, over here we call that a Yank Tank. It's huge!

Old 04-23-2008, 10:33 AM
Psychropod is an unknown quantity at this point

Chunk, welcome to the Forum!

I like the color too. I don't think I've seen a Blazer before that was burgundy on the outside and cream on the inside. Kinda unique.

As for the mileage, that's low for these trucks. Mine is 12 years old, with 166,000 miles on it and going strong. Fluid changes are key -- especially the oil and coolant. In fact, I love this truck so much that even when the engine dies, I plan to just swap in a new one.

It grew on me too. I went from a Maxima to a Blazer. First it was my wife's, and I kept it when she got the Jimmy. At first I didn't like the handling, but now I'm used to it. You'd also be surprised at how much the handling improves when you put Corvette wheels on it! The tires are wider, and they lowered it an inch and a half, so it sticks to the road on hairpin curves. In the winter, I swap back to the stock sized wheels.

Keep the Blazer. They're nice to have.

Old 04-23-2008, 04:32 PM

I guess I'm just had enough of red cars for a time. It seems every time I turn around, I'm ending up with a good deal on a red vehicle. My ranger that this Blazer will be replacing (yeah, I think I'm getting hooked on it already) is red, the 71 is red, the Silverado before that was red, the interior of the Brougham (Yank Tank) is red, etc.... Good thing the interior of the Blazer is light gray (not cream) so that makes it much more bearable for me.

Corvette wheels, huh? They fit on a 4WD Blazer? That's something I just might have to pursue down the road. Definitely needs new tires on this Blazer, and I'm cool with the stock rims that are on there now,so I'll get some on/off road for winter, but I do like a good set of summer rims and tires.
I did put some 16" Centerlines on my Ranger with 50 series BFGs and it does indeed handle like a new truck. I'll have to see about that.

So I brought it into the mechanic today....the bad news is:
Ball joint shot - upper and lower. Idler arm is not bad, but has got some play in it.
Manifold gasket is losing a bit of coolant... (Did not want to hear that)

So I guess I'm looking at about a $1500 bill straightaway, but at that point, I should be good to go.

Why does it seems all the cars ask for money at the same time???

PS: I wish it had a sunroof.

Old 05-04-2008, 02:37 PM

It's good to be back in a Chevy.

The Ford Ranger was a good truck - I'll never talk smack about gen 1 Ranger's - but I always felt guilty, or strange really, to be riding in a Ford. It's the only non-GM vehicle I've ever owned. And it's nice to be back in full-GM mode.

I had the ball joint replaced, got the new tires, took the roof rack off...found a good screwdriver to function as my seat recliner...

It's starting to look better already I think.

Mechanically it's pretty good-to-go at this point...time to start working on the appearance tweaks.
I have to remove the side door strips for sure...then we'll see what works into the budget. This is going to be the daily-driver truck after all, but it still ahve a hard time just leaving her stock.

Nice site you guys have here. I'm glad I have found you all.

PS: I put the new shoes on the 87 Eldorado last week

I think it looks pretty sweet

Old 05-04-2008, 02:57 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

ORIGINAL: Chunk
How far along are you on the Malibu and where were you before I bought my Wife a Regal?

Quick Reply: Thinking of Joining Team Blazer