Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

98 Jimmy Turbo using Typhoon parts:

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 01:30 PM
94blueknight is on a distinguished road
Default RE: 98 Jimmy Turbo using Typhoon parts:

wow dude thats a sweet mod. i was thinkin of doin it to my 1st gen. where did u get the turbo and other parts and bout how much? do u think it would bolt up easier to a 1st gen bein as the typhoon is basically a turbo 1st gen? and i like the hood on ur wife's typhoon where did u get it?

Old 02-13-2008, 02:00 PM
riceh8r0512 is an unknown quantity at this point

Besides the missing EVAP and other vaccum stuff that Kyle mentioned, does that marine manifold bolt right up, i.e wire connections and such? Just a curiosity.

BTW, nice job with the turbo, I wish I could have the time/money to do something like that to pep mine up some more.

Old 02-14-2008, 09:04 AM
UR50SLO is an unknown quantity at this point

The Evap line is just sitting at the moment. I could just put it to manifold vaccume since it only comes on when the ECM calls for it.
At the back of the Marine intake manifold I put a 3/8 fitting so I could hook that up to my brake booster. The PCV go's to Manifold vaccume as well. (port on top of Marine intake)
I deleted the EGR all together. There is a port for it but you'd have to do some rigging with the valve it's self since there's no casting for it to "bolt up" to the Marine intake.

The wire connector that go's onto the top of the plastic intake now and powers up your 6 small injectors for the poppet valves needs to be cut one by one and solderd onto indiviual clips for the external injectors. (12) Wires all together. No biggie. 6 Injector clips you can get from a junk yard for 10.00 and your set. I've got the injector schematic here. Peice of cake.

You can bolt up Sy/Ty Manifolds to any 4.3L. You can buy them used off SyTy.org or on e-bay when they show up. I bought another set for a buddy for 400.00.... That was Turbo,manifolds,downpipe,inlet pipe. The intercooler is a cheapy off e-bay also.125ish.
HPTuners is the software for OBD2.
I would not reccomend using boost with a TBI setup. It's been done but the system is not very forgiving as it's a MAP baised system. You'd be better to get the entire Sy/Ty package if you've got a very old 4.3L with TBI.
Glad to help anyone into boost

The hood you can get on-line do a google search on blazer hoods. I got mine from a guy on e-bay for 300.00 when he was selling his Typhoon and had extra parts.
Hope that helps,
Scott~

Old 02-14-2008, 09:36 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I guess for the evap and other vacuum powered devices, it all depends on how much time you spend in boost and if you get back to normal vacuum levels once you are just cruising along. I suppose you would. I don't have much experience with turbo'd gasoline engines, more diesel experience when it comes to turbos, but I do have quite a bit with supercharged apps on gas engines. Most all of the vacuum stuff is taken off of the non-pressurized side of the supercharger to keep constant vacuum to all of the accessories that utilize it.

But if you aren't having any difficulties with the HVAC, brake booster, or other items that use engine vacuum, then everything should be working good. I was just wondering.

Old 02-14-2008, 09:36 AM

aight sweet thanks for all the info! ya i had been thinking of when my engine goes or gets high up in miles to go find a totalled Sy/Ty and rip the engine out and drop it in since everything should pretty much bolt right up besides a few things cuz of the turbo of course. and i've got a 94 w/ CPI.

Old 02-14-2008, 09:40 AM

hey swartlkk u said u know a lot about supercharges well would a supercharger be a good idea on the 4.3L or wouldnt u get much power out of it? also how would it compare to a turbo? ik a turbo builds up boost where superchager has constant boost.

Old 02-14-2008, 09:50 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You would always get power out of an engine by either form of forced induction. Problem with a supercharger is finding one that is as economical as doing a turbo if you have fabrication skills. #1 issue is that no one makes a roots type supercharger for the 4.3L. While it is possible to have a lower intake manifold made up to mount an M90 or other roots type S/C to the engine, you would then have to work through the fuel system changes, computer changes, etc. Centrifugal S/C are made, but are $$$.

A turbo is the best option for the 4.3L if you have some fab skills or know someone that does.

Old 02-14-2008, 12:01 PM

ok cuz ya i've never heard of a supercharger for the 4.3 so i was just curious. but ya thats a lot of work so its just easier goin w/ a turbo then. I'm pretty good at fabin up my own stuff (goin for mechanical engineering helps) so do they have a turbo (besidesone out of theSy/Ty)that u can buy and "bolt" on to the 4.3 or do u have to buy a general turbo and fab up ur own stuff to mount it?

Old 02-14-2008, 12:46 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

you dont need to have a specific turbocharger. there are several different sizes out there. i dont know a whole lot about what all needs to be done to install a turbo but 02Vortech has a rearmount turbo on his truck and The Brettster is in the process of installing one on his truck.

Old 02-14-2008, 12:57 PM

ok thanks! i'll look into it

Quick Reply: 98 Jimmy Turbo using Typhoon parts: