Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

98 Jimmy Turbo using Typhoon parts:

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 07:39 AM
UR50SLO is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: 98 Jimmy Turbo using Typhoon parts:

Doesn't support 05? Did you get that from the HPTuners site?
It's generaly the older one's they don't suppport (LT1) ect.(97down)
Maby I should specify how the "Credits" work.
Once you register the truck (example my 98) I can tune my 98truck as many times as I like. (Unlimited)
If you add another vehicle... 99WS6Transam... or any other.. you can tune it unlimited.
Each vehicle requires 2 credits.
The program comes with 8credits. (4vehicles) (unlimited tunes)
When you go for the 5th vehicle you'll have to buy 2 creidts (99.00) And so on when you add vehicles.
Hope that explains it better.
First thing We'd need to address on any boosted truck is the timing.
And move up the Power enrichment under heavy load.(boost)
Be glad to help,
Scott~

Old 03-16-2008, 02:36 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

That's from the HP Tuners site, and emailing them to double check, lol

Old 03-17-2008, 08:05 AM

Just contacted a administrator at HPTuners.
He said he should be able to do your 05 ECM.
Contact him at: Bill@Hptuners.com
You can discuss what your truck is and what you'll need to do
to have it directly supported.
I could not scan a 08 Durimax Diesel the first time.. sent him the vehicle scan file
and in 2days I had a Beta Version to read and tune the truck.
Sometime's it's contacting the right people with the right questions
~Scott

Old 03-17-2008, 08:12 AM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

I'll have to fire off an email afterI get a little sleep in...

My main reason for a tuner program is to get rid of that horrible RPM holding feature, lol.

I pull it out of gear and it takes 2 seconds or so before the RPM's start dropping...

Old 04-21-2008, 10:12 AM
intake is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey great looking setup Scott. I had a question for you about the Walbro pump you used. I know you have a part number off the box the pump came in, in one of the pictures. But, I was hoping you could tell me weather or not the pump is a Walbro F20000169 (actual Walbro #)?

Thanks,
Eric

I don't know if this is the best spot for me to add this but, I've been talking with a fuel injection shop and they tested the newer V6 fuel spider (I'm guessing the V8 one would be the same) for me on an
ASNU flow bench at 80% duty cycle and adjusted the pressure with the regulator and these were the results:

Stock opening pressure was 60 psi and regulator maintained 65 psi at 22.3pph flow.
Then they increased the pressure.
70 psi - 23.5 pph[/align] 75 psi - 24.7 pph[/align] 80 psi - 25.1 pph[/align] 85 psi - 25.5 pph[/align] The regulator would not continue past 85 psi

[/align]

Old 04-21-2008, 11:47 AM

That is either the part number right from Warbro or the part number that Full Throttle Speed and style uses. I'm not sure. It's for a Buick GN. 225lr/hr pump.
Any other GN kit should be similar if not exactly the same. I think they are 95.00.

Thanks and hope that helps,
Scott~

Old 04-21-2008, 12:07 PM
intake is an unknown quantity at this point

Checked with Full Throttle Speed and yes it is the same pump.

Thanks,
Eric

Old 05-01-2008, 05:41 PM
Brian Mooney is an unknown quantity at this point

Okay, let me get this stright before i attempt it...[8D]. The entire top portion from a cyclone or typhoon, should fit onto our 4.3l motors right? If thats not right, the Turbo manifold will right?

Let me ask you ahead of myself, so, from what i'm understandin in other forums is that the intake manifold on our trucks do not hold boost, or what?

Old 05-01-2008, 07:20 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The stock '96+ manifolds will hold around 10psi of boost. If you aren't doing anything to the bottom end, that is probably as much as you should run. Over 10 psi and you really should be looking at lowering the static compression ratio of the bottom end, a different cam with more overlap to take advantage of the pressurized intake, and a new solid intake.

As the typhoon engine had perpendicular intake manifold bolts, the manifold from the turbo motor will not work on the '96+ SCFI motors as their intake bolts are vertical (not perpendicular to the sealing surface).

There is another thread that shows an aftermarket intake for the 4.3L that can be used for turbo applications. Let me see if I can find it.

*EDIT* - Here ya go:
Bad news... Good news (Turbo Build)

Old 05-02-2008, 07:45 AM

If you decide to use a Sy/Ty intake you'll need to pull the heads off yours and have the "Old" style intake pattern drilled and tapped for the Sy/Ty manifold.
The lower Sy/Ty intake will also need to be welded on top/bottom of the intake ports since the vortec heads are taller/deeper than the stock sy/ty heads or L35's.

A Marine intake bolts right on. There's some small work when changing it over but very simple and can be purchased for 250-400.00.

Elderbrock intakes will work also. But need bungs welded in for fuel injectors and rails setup..

Those are your simpler choices.

Your stock intake can handle the boost it's just that your fuel system won't support much more than 10psi. (volume of fuel) (as stated above by swart)
There's guys that nuked their stock Sy/Ty engines and got a junk yard vortec style motor and have had great luck with them. ... I agree the pistons are not as ideal as a stock Sy/Ty piston but that only becomes a factor with detonation. A good tune with no knock retard/detonation issues and your ok.
Hope that helps,
Scott~

Quick Reply: 98 Jimmy Turbo using Typhoon parts: