Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos All charged talk about going FAST.

Jimmy to Syclone

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2020, 01:04 PM
Starting Member
jimmy_for_ever is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Jimmy to Syclone

Hi

Anyone know if it possible to convert my 00 2wd jimmy to syclone?
I mean find diagram of gmc syclone turbo and by exact parts of it and fit it direct on my jimmy engine.

Old 03-06-2020, 01:15 PM
BF Veteran
DonL is on a distinguished road

I thought that was only on the 1st gen?

Old 03-06-2020, 11:38 PM
Starting Member
jimmy_for_ever is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by DonL
I thought that was only on the 1st gen?
But both of them use same engine 4.3l v6

Old 03-07-2020, 03:43 AM
Starting Member
Florida blazers is on a distinguished road

I have no advice but I'm trying to do a similar build. I can't seem to find the exact specs of the cyclone or the typhoon.

Old 03-07-2020, 08:33 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Anything is possible with time and money...but you will not be able to use parts from a Typhoon/Syclone engine on your engine. You can build your engine to handle boost (marine intake swap), reconfigure your engine bay for the turbo/plumbing/intercooler/etc., and tune appropriately. It will all cost you probably more than what an LS swap would cost in the end, but it all depends on what you want to do. A turbo v6 would be more unique.

Saying that they both use the same 4.3L v6 isn't really true other than in displacement. There are many differences between the tuned-port 4.3L engine used in the Typhoon/Syclone and the newer SCFI engine used in your 2000 Jimmy. Heck, there are quite a few different parts used between the regular s-series TBI LB4s and that used in the Typhoon/Syclone. The Typhoon/Syclone borrowed the batch/bank fired tuned-port setup from the LT1 engine of the era in a model specific intake manifold and used the same throttle body as the 5.7L LT1 where the S-series LB4 was throttle body injected.

Next up is the AWD system. If you're going for a true to form copy, the Typhoon/Syclone used a torque splitting AWD Borg Warner transfer case (35/65 F/R) and a front axle that was always engaged.

And I'm sure the list goes on.

There is a TON of information out there on these two models if you're willing to sift through it.

Old 03-11-2020, 06:06 AM
error_401 is on a distinguished road

In addition: It used different pistons with lower compression and different steel main bearing caps.
The turbochargers may be replaced by a similar AI or Garrett. The oil and water plumbing is different. The inter-cooler is of the air/water type.

For the suspension it was fitted with drop down spindles and larger front discs. Rear disc brakes and if I'm not mistaken also the rear brakes were of the ventilated type.