Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Nitrous, Super Chargers, & Turbos (https://blazerforum.com/forum/nitrous-super-chargers-turbos-11/)
-   -   mods to 2.8? (https://blazerforum.com/forum/nitrous-super-chargers-turbos-11/mods-2-8-a-53886/)

old skool luvr 01-11-2011 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by neo71665 (Post 395735)
The 5.7 is gonna look better

well D'UH!!!

90in87 01-13-2011 10:09 AM

i'd like to know what top end specs are, like what i can look forward to after i get just about everything possible done to the engine, i want to maximize the accel and keep mileage, right now the engine is old tired and covered in dirt and grease, i just want to go fast and still be able to drive long distances, with some sick off the beaten path capabilities. just kinda wanna get a feel for what i need to do to enjoy drivin it without having to buy a new engine really

old skool luvr 01-14-2011 01:25 AM

you do realize that you're asking an awfully big task from the 2-8, right?

honestly..........just find a 3400 from a Grand Am or something, take the wiring harness and everything, swap it out, and enjoy the best of both worlds (your words).

90in87 01-21-2011 05:04 PM

well i dont think im askin too much from this thing especially after all the bs its puttin me through, after i get it all "working proper" this thing better treat me right or im gonna push it off the first cliff i find

neo71665 01-22-2011 04:46 AM

The main issues with 60 degrees if kept property maintained is oil leaks. The distributor and valve covers like to leak. The dizzy is an easy fix by just adding a SB chevy v8 paper gasket under it when the o-rings are replaced. The valve covers can be tricky. You can get the stamped steel ones to seal but the best bet is pontiac fiero gt covers (like I have in the pic). The cast aluminum has a better gasket design.

For performance if it has a 5 speed behind it they are pretty peppy as long as you don't try to haul major loads. My 91 sonoma gets about 25-27 mpg with the 2.8. A bigger 3.4 would help as the extra power they have but I have no plans of it until I v8 my blazer. If you have to have a bigger engine get a v8, don't bother with a 4.3 that gets the gas mileage of a v8 but only has the power of a v6. It will be all the same exact work to do either a 4.3 or v8 anyways. Heck even the frowned upon 305 with fuel injection wakes up a light weight s-series and still gets good gas mileage if you keep your foot out of it.

neo71665 01-22-2011 05:00 AM

About anything you do to the 2.8 can be swapped over to a iron headed 3.4 later if you choose that swap. without doing a major tear down of the engine I suggest headers and 1.6 roller tip rockers. If you wanna take the intake off getting it bored to take a 4.3 throttle body helps a ton. Its a bit of work but way worth the gains.

Going all out gasket matching the heads and intake helps but not real noticeable. But if you ever go to a 3.4 the iron FI heads were the same on a 2.8, 3.1, and 3.4. That means if you gasket match your 2.8 heads you can use them on a 3.4 later on down the line. Not much you can do on a 2.8 block bottom end short of finding a 3.1 out of a camaro and robbing the crank and stuff to turn it into a 3.1. For that work you might as well find a 93-95 f-body 3.4 to swap in and get even more power gains.

What I did was just drive the 2.8 until it dies and don't waste money on it. In the mean time find a 3.4 and work it over. Once finished just swap them out and go on your way.

Hard Driver 12-05-2011 05:36 PM

Your buddies 96 Camaro most likely has a 3.8 not a 3.4 because the 3.4 was available in f bodies 93-94-95 it makes a great up grade over a 2.8 and is a bolt in using some parts from the 2.8 engine.