Off Roading Got a story about taking your Blazer off the paved roads? This is your section!

4Hi or 4Lo when offroad

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 04:51 PM
ckroll98 is on a distinguished road
Default 4Hi or 4Lo when offroad

Heading to KS Rocks off road park next weekend. My 4Lo doesn't work (yet). Never been off roading/rock crawling before. Advice? Do I keep it in 4Hi until I need 4Lo, or will I need 4Lo more? Stock 2door 4x4 with 3.42 and no lockers. A/T tires.

Old 08-23-2013, 05:03 PM
Twip will become famous soon enough

you will want 4Lo. i wondered the same thing the first time that i went and pretty much just left it in Low range the whole time i was on the trail. i would get it fixed as soon as possible before you go. you dont want to end up getting stuck.....it could be expensive. also, i would recommend taking an air compressor and maybe a tire plug kit if you have one. you will want to "air down" when you get to the trail head to give yourself a smoother ride and better grip. when you let most of the air out of the tire it actually makes the contact area larger equaling more grip. i run around 12-15 psi. some go all the way down to 8 i have heard. i dont know the place you are goin since i live in Cali, but i know that my machine impressed me when i went out. they are fairly capable even when stock. did you check to see if you have a G80 RPO code in the glove box? if you do, you have, or should have, a mechanical locker if it is in working condition. do some research on it if you do so you can understand how to use it. it takes just a little getting used to.

anyway, best of luck to you and make sure that you either take some people with you, or go with some others that can help you out if you get in a bind. and remember, smart wheeling is the funnest wheelin!!

Old 08-23-2013, 06:04 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

Unless you're out climbing mountains, or rock crawling, I've never understood how low range would help you. It's not going to give you anymore traction. I guess since effectively more torque is being sent to the tires, you could use less throttle, and have less chance of spinning the tires. My off roading pretty much consists of dirt trails, so I've never needed low range.

Airing down is a great idea, though. Besides traction, it will help prevent puncturing the tires if you run over a sharp rock or tree stump.

Old 08-23-2013, 07:10 PM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

I used to hill climb my blazer all the time. 4lo was essential to get up the steeper ones. You just don't have the power to drag your blazer up 45* in 4hi, sure you can 'give it more skinny pedal (aka speed),' but when the hill is rocky and rough, you need to go slow. That's what the 4lo is for.

Old 08-23-2013, 09:25 PM
Diaita will become famous soon enough

I like 4lo for a lot of off-roading. It gives you far more power for climbing, and mud, as well as a lot more control while going down hills. The only drawback is the lower top speed, and a bit of noise.

Old 08-23-2013, 11:08 PM
KM346 will become famous soon enough

I stay in 4low pretty much the whole time when offroad. Lock it into 2nd gear and you can cruise down the trails and not have to dog it when you come to a hill / obstacle ... sometimes ill shift down to 1st if i really need the extra torque and if im traveling slow enough. I really only use 4high when it snows.

Last edited by KM346; 08-23-2013 at 11:11 PM.
Old 08-24-2013, 01:15 PM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

It makes sense, now. I guess my off roading is just a lot milder than y'alls! LOL

Old 08-24-2013, 03:39 PM
Starting Member
HostileJava is on a distinguished road

Having just gotten back from my first offroading adventure I'd say 4lo and 2nd gear all the way.

Old 08-25-2013, 10:21 AM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

i would think 4low in a stock blazer would be horrible with a top speed of like 2mph?

i had a 83 stock s10 that had a 5 speed and 4 low was awful unless you were trying to pull out a bush or something, 1st gear only went a few miles per hour.

my current s10 has 33s 373 gears i run 4 low its perfect for that set up. i dont have to touch the brakes going down hills, climbs up hills perfect.

4high just dogs if im trying to climb up a dry hill. i think you'll get by in 4 high, give it a try and report back

Old 08-25-2013, 12:47 PM
Twip will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by abig84
i would think 4low in a stock blazer would be horrible with a top speed of like 2mph?
not at all, you can safely do about 20-25 if the terrain is good.

Quick Reply: 4Hi or 4Lo when offroad