Off Roading Got a story about taking your Blazer off the paved roads? This is your section!

4lo stuck

Old 10-12-2013, 06:08 PM
Beginning Member
Hagies is on a distinguished road
Default 4lo stuck

Hey everyone, if you read my post from about a week ago (new blazer story) then you already know where I'm at. Well, ran into another problem today...

My 1998 blazer won't shift out of 4lo. The worst part is, the only real "4x4" part on the truck is the transfer case (other than the TCCM). I tried disconnecting everything, rocking it out of 4lo, but nothing so far. When I'm in neutral, and I push "2hi" I can hear the TCCM click, but nothing happens. Does that mean the TCCM is in working condition? I read all through the forums and I keep seeing "encoder motor" this and that. How can I test if it's that?

If possible, is there a way to manually shift the thing back into 2hi via the transfer case?

Thanks!

Old 10-12-2013, 07:08 PM
Starting Member
RJ2004 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Hagies View Post
Hey everyone, if you read my post from about a week ago (new blazer story) then you already know where I'm at. Well, ran into another problem today...

My 1998 blazer won't shift out of 4lo. The worst part is, the only real "4x4" part on the truck is the transfer case (other than the TCCM). I tried disconnecting everything, rocking it out of 4lo, but nothing so far. When I'm in neutral, and I push "2hi" I can hear the TCCM click, but nothing happens. Does that mean the TCCM is in working condition? I read all through the forums and I keep seeing "encoder motor" this and that. How can I test if it's that?

If possible, is there a way to manually shift the thing back into 2hi via the transfer case?

Thanks!
The TCCM - transfer case control module - is basically a computer, and it's usually located behind the passenger side kick panel. It's what tells the TCSM - transfer case shift motor aka encoder motor - what position to be in. 4lo,4hi, or 2hi.

Have you tested for tccm error codes.
There's some really good write-ups here on how to do it.

If you just want to get it into 2hi and leave it there, do this:
(Let's see is I remember this correctly - if anyone sees an error, please jump in.)
Pull the 10amp fuse for the 4wd. This disables the TCCM (computer).
Next, remove the TCSM (shift motor) (Excellent instructions here on the forum)
Use a crescent wrench and manually shift the lever on the transfer case clockwise. It'll only move a little bit and you should hear 2 "clicks". Now you're in 2 high.
It goes 4lo - 4hi - 2hi. You should be able to spin the front output shaft now to verify that you're in 2hi. If it doesn't spin, you're still in 4wd. Try moving the lever again.
It took me like 3 times before I got it right.
Now, toss the tcsm aside.
Cover the 7 pin elec connector (under the truck) with something to keep out water, etc. Zip tie it out of the way.
Replace your drive shaft if you removed it to get the TCSM out.
Viola, you're done...... for now. It's best if you find your problem and replace the TCSM as soon as you can.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by RJ2004; 10-12-2013 at 07:17 PM.
Old 10-12-2013, 09:42 PM
KM346 will become famous soon enough

Last edited by KM346; 10-12-2013 at 09:44 PM.
Old 10-13-2013, 01:27 PM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

I'd do what RJ2004 said, seeing as you don't have any 4x4 parts in the front of the truck atm.

Old 10-14-2013, 03:02 PM
Beginning Member
Hagies is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by RJ2004 View Post
The TCCM - transfer case control module - is basically a computer, and it's usually located behind the passenger side kick panel. It's what tells the TCSM - transfer case shift motor aka encoder motor - what position to be in. 4lo,4hi, or 2hi.

Have you tested for tccm error codes.
There's some really good write-ups here on how to do it.

If you just want to get it into 2hi and leave it there, do this:
(Let's see is I remember this correctly - if anyone sees an error, please jump in.)
Pull the 10amp fuse for the 4wd. This disables the TCCM (computer).
Next, remove the TCSM (shift motor) (Excellent instructions here on the forum)
Use a crescent wrench and manually shift the lever on the transfer case clockwise. It'll only move a little bit and you should hear 2 "clicks". Now you're in 2 high.
It goes 4lo - 4hi - 2hi. You should be able to spin the front output shaft now to verify that you're in 2hi. If it doesn't spin, you're still in 4wd. Try moving the lever again.
It took me like 3 times before I got it right.
Now, toss the tcsm aside.
Cover the 7 pin elec connector (under the truck) with something to keep out water, etc. Zip tie it out of the way.
Replace your drive shaft if you removed it to get the TCSM out.
Viola, you're done...... for now. It's best if you find your problem and replace the TCSM as soon as you can.

I hope this helps.
Man thanks so much for that. You saved the day! Haha. Now to head to the junk yard to purchase some 4x4 parts lol. Thanks again brother!

Old 10-14-2013, 08:52 PM
Starting Member
RJ2004 is on a distinguished road

Glad I could help.

** You probably already know this, but, don't forget to put the trans into neutral before shifting the TC out of 4lo.

Good luck!