Off Roading Got a story about taking your Blazer off the paved roads? This is your section!

98 4x2..few questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 10:21 PM
ls6tt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 98 4x2..few questions

Hello everyone, found this forum on google and i must say this is a really great site.

I am about to take over from my brother his 98 2door 4x2 blazer. I am using it pretty much as a camping hunting, fishing beater.

Few questions I want to ask before i really make the choice to do this.

How are the suspensions on these?

Any issues I should know if i decide to throw a rough country lift on it?

Any information i should know or look for?

Old 05-14-2008, 05:10 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: 98 4x2..few questions

Only issues would be that the Rough Country lift has a notation that it is not for serious/heavy (can't remember the exact wording) offroading. Also you can essentially put that kit together for about $60 (but you'll risk balljoint wear...the RC lift comes with new upper control arms to correct the ball joint angle problem).

Suspension has been categorized as being everything from 'wavy like a boat' to 'way too stiff'....I think it's pretty soft suspension untill you tighten up the torsion bars...then it's a real nice ride I think

Welcome to the site!

Old 05-14-2008, 06:34 PM

thanks for the post and the welcome.

any downside to the body lift? this wont be for serious off roading, camping, hunting, fishing, thats it.

Old 05-14-2008, 06:50 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

waiittttt....just saw you've got a 4x2.

You can just buy lift spindles or lift coils to get the front end up!! No real downside other than how they affect ride. The reason the RC lift is not for serious offroading is because of the angle of the CV joints on the 4x4!

The only real negative to a body lift is that you're moving a substantial amount of the vehicle's mass up 2'. This can greatly effect ride stability and roll. Hopefully one of the guys with the BL installed can comment on this...I'm still not in that club yet...but give me a couple weeks, I'll get mine on

Old 05-14-2008, 07:08 PM
willjones is an unknown quantity at this point

I didn't notice any change as far as body roll is concerned. This truck was never really a corner hugger anyways, so as long as you aren't driving like an idiot you won't notice the ride.

Old 05-14-2008, 07:20 PM

what size tires (ATs) can i run with the 2" BL

Old 05-14-2008, 07:24 PM
BF Veteran

31x10.50s

See the guy above you

Old 05-14-2008, 07:25 PM

ah i thought he was a 4x4, well awesome, i assume fender trimming, or ill have issues lock to lock?

Old 05-14-2008, 07:54 PM
Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point

I havn't noticed a difference in body roll with the 2inch body lift, and you shouldnt as long as you know you are driving a SUV and not a BMW. My 31s rub at full lock on the frame sometimes and sometimes they dont. I rub fender rarely andionly rub fenderif i hit large bump going too fast.

Old 05-14-2008, 08:06 PM
BF Veteran

He should be ok as far as frame rubbing goes since he's got the 4x2 (4' of backspacing, instead of 6' on the 4x4). He may catch fender more frequenty when full lock+suspension compression occurs (think driveways, braking while going into a parking spot, etc)

Quick Reply: 98 4x2..few questions