Off Roading Got a story about taking your Blazer off the paved roads? This is your section!

Broken trailer light cord

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 05:09 PM
Jisher is on a distinguished road
Default Broken trailer light cord

I went offroading today and while climbing a pretty steep hill i scraped what i thought was my trailer hitch. Turns out i broke the plug (and metal piece around it) that runs the trailer lights when pulling a trailer. My dad pulls a lot of trailers so i need to get this fixed asap. Anyone know what the actual name is and where i can pick one up? Im assuming its a easy to find piece i can get at car quest. Thanks.

Last edited by Jisher; 08-09-2010 at 05:12 PM.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:57 PM
Beginning Member
jpfencl is on a distinguished road

just go buy the new plug and wire it up. i would suggest wiring it behind the hitch that way you wont have to do this again

Old 08-09-2010, 07:15 PM
NVANZEE will become famous soon enough

yeah you can get a new one at any parts store, autozone, advanced auto, pepboys, napa, carquest or even wallmart

Old 08-09-2010, 09:55 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

Worst place ever to put a trailer plug! I learned that early on.

Oh, and very easy to replace and relocate.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:58 PM

gonna have to do it tomorrow. Got frustrated and striped the screws on it. Made a project out of nothing. haha

Old 08-09-2010, 11:06 PM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

don't feel bad I broke my two reverse lights last night...

Old 08-09-2010, 11:09 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Jisher
I went offroading today and while climbing a pretty steep hill i scraped what i thought was my trailer hitch. Turns out i broke the plug (and metal piece around it)

and that's the reason i did this..................

these will show you what you're in for though............

i ended up smoking a nearly new 1/2" electric drill trying to get through the top part of the rebar. my BFH & a good sharp cold chisel finished it off though!

sooooo much easier when i did it on my '78 long box, i just removed the driver's side licence plate light, filed a small hole for the screw on the plug body, and it fir like a glove.

Last edited by old skool luvr; 08-09-2010 at 11:12 PM. Reason: fixed wrong pic link.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:13 AM

thats a really good idea. I might stare at the back of my blazer for a while till i get an idea for a spot. A spot that wont give me a hard time when i try to cut into it.

Old 08-10-2010, 12:43 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

that won't matter brother, that rebar is everywhere!

now..............if you wanna trim the rolled edge of the plastic (below where i put my plug), you can lower the position of the plug (about 1/4" will do) and not hit the top rolled lip of the rebar.

i was just being too **** about getting my plug dead center of the space.

plus i was in a rush since i needed to use my trailer. ended up taking me about 30 minutes longer because of the extra metal i had to drill through/remove.

never mind the fact i still need a new drill!

Old 08-10-2010, 05:12 AM
Banned
Topsecret66 is on a distinguished road

Go to a garage. Show them and they can help you.

Quick Reply: Broken trailer light cord