Off Roading Got a story about taking your Blazer off the paved roads? This is your section!

Burning popcorn smell?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 05:02 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough
Default RE: Burning popcorn smell?

You NEED better tires if you can't climb that. Doesn't matter what you're driving...

"new" doesn't always mean they're suited to the conditions

Old 02-28-2008, 07:43 PM
94blueknight is on a distinguished road

ORIGINAL: drperry

You NEED better tires if you can't climb that. Doesn't matter what you're driving...

haha ya agreed my BFG Long Trails SUCK in the snow when taking off i always need momentum.

Old 02-28-2008, 09:18 PM
Starting Member
GeorgesBlazah is an unknown quantity at this point

Ive never had any problems with my foot down to the floor in 4wd It was probably just burning rubber you were smelling.

Old 02-28-2008, 11:06 PM
Starting Member
Rp9110 is an unknown quantity at this point

When I say new im infering i don't feel like buying a set to replace NEW tires that are good in almost any situation i get in but not on ice. Don't think it was the tires that stopped me, was the driver (myself) with impatience and unexperianced ice driving. Ice is pretty unpredictable stuff and 4x4 isn't going to make much a difference, I know two people that wrecked brand new cars in result of the ice we got.

Old 02-28-2008, 11:11 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

Yes ice is unpredictable, but at a slow enough speed, and if you properly control the vehicle, you can get some degree of traction on it. The only tire's I've found to be 'good' on ice are 1) studded or 2) Michelin Energys.

Old 02-29-2008, 05:28 AM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

ORIGINAL: Rp9110

When I say new im infering i don't feel like buying a set to replace NEW tires that are good in almost any situation i get in but not on ice. Don't think it was the tires that stopped me, was the driver (myself) with impatience and unexperianced ice driving. Ice is pretty unpredictable stuff and 4x4 is going to make much a difference, I know two people that wrecked brand new cars in result of the ice we got.

4x4 will only help you get going... It might help you go around some corners...

A skinny tire works best on ice, and don't romp on the pedal.

Old 02-29-2008, 06:49 AM
Starting Member

Yeah, having 4x4 helped me on the way to work that day a good bit. But after work was when everthing was terrible, lost control right after I saw this camry spinning out on my way home from work. Yeah my tires are pretty beefy XL's but I like them and plan on replacing them with all terains but not for a good while (unless I lift my truck and want 31's.)

Old 03-01-2008, 09:53 PM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

haha, i dunno, ive done 5km per hour sideways down a street depends how icy it is.....

Old 03-01-2008, 10:15 PM
BF Veteran
thegr81 is on a distinguished road

HHMMM ice+new tires= snow chains!! Try a set or put alot of salt down for traction!!

Old 03-01-2008, 10:41 PM
Starting Member

My father uses kitty litter usually for traction, but we didn't have anything to use that night but the next day I bought snow ice & melt. Chains would probably help, but I think im just going to stay off the roads if they are ever that bad again unless I have to.

Quick Reply: Burning popcorn smell?