Off Roading Got a story about taking your Blazer off the paved roads? This is your section!

Driving lights mounted below the bumper?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 08:14 PM
Blazers.B.Kewl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Driving lights mounted below the bumper?

If this is a stupid question then fire away with your comments. But I dont want to spend 3 or $400 on a grille guard just to use it for lights. Unless someone wants to sell me one for cheap? So what I'm thinking is that since there's plenty of holes underneath my bumper for stuff, or its at least easier to drill, i would put driving lights underneath the bumper where the fogs are. Please tell me if this would work or why it wouldnt. The only thing i can think of for why it wont work is that the lights wont be able to be aimed properly. And why dont i just put them on top of the bumper? Well, that would be a paint in the ***, as I would have to take off the bumper, drill a couple holes thru thicker chrome, on top of trying to be sure that the lights wouldnt interfere with anything (on top of the bumper, I dont have much room if the lights are large depth-wise). So, any comments welcome, and you can suggest lights too, or different ways to do this, or anything you want to say. This helps me a lot. Thanks!

Old 11-11-2008, 08:22 PM
NVANZEE will become famous soon enough
Default RE: Driving lights mounted below the bumper?

you should get the safari light bar made by westin. It is only around $150

Old 11-11-2008, 08:22 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You should not have any problem with aiming them properly. You will want to power them through a relay. If these are going to be true driving lights (i.e. aimed higher than your low beams), then you probably will want to have the power to the relay provided by tapping off of the high beam power wire. Then use a switch that will toggle the ground so you can turn them off when you did not want them on.

Old 11-11-2008, 08:34 PM

Oh yeah, i'm not worried about wiring at all. haha, I'm an electronics student with plenty of experienced people around me that can give more than enough info on how to do that (and maybe even help me get really nice parts). How about a link to that bar? And would the lights look stupid if mounted below the bumper? (should i take a pic and go to the chop shop with this?)

Ok, i just saw the bar, for about $120 ( http://www.truckcustomizers.com/prod...4WET97.1A.html ) but it doesnt list that its capable of being mounted onto a 92 blazer (which what i run into ALL the time...). Would it be able to be mounted nicely?

Old 11-11-2008, 09:46 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

Aimed higher than the low beams, but mounted below them? What about all those light beams colliding! It'll be like an explosion!

Old 11-11-2008, 09:49 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Damn, why didnt I think of that?? You are absolutely correct!!! LMAO.

Old 11-12-2008, 10:31 AM
Beginning Member
schnarr is an unknown quantity at this point

if you off road at all its a bad idea i had mine mounted like that when i had my first gen and this is what happened

Old 11-12-2008, 02:15 PM

nope, not gonna be off-roading, i just need more light output. Where should they be mounted? more towards the center or the outside? I would think the center with the fogs on the outside?

Old 11-12-2008, 02:16 PM
Administrator

It really is a matter of where you like how they look. A difference of 2 foot is not going to really matter all that much as far as beam pattern goes. It is all in how you aim them.

Old 11-12-2008, 09:00 PM

so , I picked up my fogs today, and the instructions included to install them don't include a relay...Should I add one myself? or use their instructions? Wouldn't be too hard to get a relay, I think my shop may some I can have.

And I was thinking about putting in an anti-theft kill switch. Any thoughts? My shop teacher and I are going take a look at the wiring diagram of my car and see what system would be easiest and best to put the switch in. I want to use two switches in series to make it even more challenging should someone want this car ( I REALLY don't like some of the cities/towns around me...)

Quick Reply: Driving lights mounted below the bumper?