Off Roading Got a story about taking your Blazer off the paved roads? This is your section!

Have you ever driven over terrain...

Old 10-28-2006, 11:36 PM
SaigaShooter is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Have you ever driven over terrain...

...and once you made it through, said that if you knew the trail was that rough, you wouldn't have driven it? Or am I the only one?

I once drove my truck down a very narrow path along side a powerline that ran through the woods. the trail went downhill, and then backup on the other side. At the bottom were some very large rocks, sticking up between 8-15 inches from the ground. I thought about turning around (stock truck) but there wasn't room, and there was no way I could back all the way up the hill. So, I had to drive over the rocks, thankfully most were angled away from the truck, like little ramps. I went towards them slowly, the entire chassis seemed to flex, the left front tire rose up over a large rock, while the front right dropped down between two smaller rocks. i could hear rocks in the center of the truck hitting things on the bottom of the truck, sowly i made it over, this happened for about 50 feet, then i finally made it to the otherside.

the otherside, was almost worth the punishment on the truck, a shallow muddy crick about 10 feet wide. Needless to say mud was flung everywhere. After passing through the mud I headed back up-hill, it was rough, but easy compared to the rocks. Once I reached the top of the hill, the trial ende. There was just enough room to turn the truck around, and head back the way I came. The trail back was, belive it or not, rougher than the trail heading in! this time, all the large rocks seemed to point at the truck. I had no other option, so I approached carefully. I made it about 10 feet, then the truck came I heard a horrible crunching sound, and the truck came to a dead stop. I backed up and re approached the area, making it over this time, once i was past the rocks, and made it back to the road, I got out to see what had gotten destroyed on the front of the truck. Turns out the safari bar was tight up against the bunper, and the brackets were bent back flat.

I was impressed that the truck could take that kind of abuse, but if I knew that the trail wasthat bad, I never would have attempted it.

Old 10-28-2006, 11:55 PM
ceanern is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Have you ever driven over terrain...

also seems better the first time though going one way than the other way. haha...I've had those trails. Makes for interesting travel. The one trail I run has a very small creek. in the middle roughly it is probably 10 to 12 ft wide Just enough for a vehicle to almost fit down in. before starting up the other side which is almost straight up with large rocks but what makes it worse is the fact you just drove though a little bit of water to get the tires wet so they don't get good grip.

Old 10-30-2006, 01:18 AM
BF Veteran
user 1016 has a spectacular aura aboutuser 1016 has a spectacular aura about

Did you look at the underside of your truck? check your diff. seals? see if there's leaks? I have a stock truck too.....and there's no way I would have done it...I've been in some sticky places before....but I always manage to find an alternate route....or trust in the abilities of my truck...which do not involve rocks.....there is too much even in a truck with skid plates..etc....that's scarey...I am glad you made it out ok....I wouldn't suggest climbing any mountains anytime soon.......

Old 10-30-2006, 02:08 AM
4lowlife is on a distinguished road

git R done.

Old 10-30-2006, 01:27 PM
tommyd is an unknown quantity at this point

I've never said that. If the truck still drives I'm glad I took that trail.

Old 10-30-2006, 03:47 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like a normal trail to me.
[sm=ttiwwp.gif]

Keep the tires on top of the highest rocks and you reduce the amount of damage to the underside. Got skid plates? good investment if you plan on going there again. And I would go there again. But that's just me.

I scrape and drag all over the place. ITs normal for a rough trail. And a heck of a lot of fun.

Besides,
Your truck is plenty capable. It may get used mostly by the soccer moms, but it sure can hold its own out in the rough stuff.

After all the S10 did win Petersons 4x4 Truck of the year, its the very first truck to win.

Old 10-30-2006, 05:46 PM
BF Veteran
user 1016 has a spectacular aura aboutuser 1016 has a spectacular aura about

eh good point Tim....I am just kind of a wus with my truck because I can't afford to get it fixed if something were to break......*sigh* next truck...which I hope to be getting soon...

Old 10-31-2006, 12:01 AM
SaigaShooter is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: Paddle_grl

eh good point Tim....I am just kind of a wus with my truck because I can't afford to get it fixed if something were to break......
Exactly, I cant really afford to have the daily driver in the shop too often.

Old 10-31-2006, 07:59 PM
tommyd is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah I don't like having the driver in the shop either but the most fun you will have on a trail is when you think your going to break something and then you don't. Paddle_grl does BABY her truck I mean look at the kind of things she gets STUCK in

Old 10-31-2006, 11:43 PM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

lmao! 4lowlife "Git R Done!" [sm=wootwoot.gif]

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Have you ever driven over terrain...