Off Roading Got a story about taking your Blazer off the paved roads? This is your section!

Hi-Lift Jack & tow strap

Old 08-12-2013, 05:02 PM
UrbanWild is on a distinguished road
Default Hi-Lift Jack & tow strap

I am new to off-roading and need to buy a hi-lift jack and tow strap as part of my safety equipment. I have a 2000 Chevy Blazer LT with Destination AT tires. Can anyone tell my how many inches the jack should be (42", 48", or 60"), and if this tow strap is acceptable:
Amazon.com: CargoLoc 82494 2-Inch by 20-Feet Emergency Tow Strap with Hooks: Home Improvement Amazon.com: CargoLoc 82494 2-Inch by 20-Feet Emergency Tow Strap with Hooks: Home Improvement

Thanks!

Old 08-12-2013, 05:13 PM
Twip will become famous soon enough

i have no idea on the high lift as i dont have one, nor have i used/seen one in use.
as far as the strap, i have heard bad things about those hooks that come with straps. personally, i would get a strap with the loops in it, and just use some good shackles. waaay safer, plus the shackle cant fall off whatever its attached to, as long as its not the stock tow hooks on these 4x4's. which i have also heard arent the greatest thing to use when recovering the car. just my .02
i have seen guys on here make up shackle mounts that replace the front tow hooks. if it were me, thats what i would do.

Old 08-12-2013, 05:23 PM
Talking

Originally Posted by Twip View Post
i have heard bad things about those hooks that come with straps. personally, i would get a strap with the loops in it, and just use some good shackles.
Are shackles those u-things with the bolts? (sorry--I'm just learning so I probably sound like a bonehead!)

Old 08-12-2013, 05:26 PM
Twip will become famous soon enough

yeah they are. heres one that you cant loose the pin for.

most shackles just basically have a bolt looking thing that screws into the bottom of them. as you can see with this one, its more of a through bolt with a cotter pin to keep the nut from backing off, basically making it impossible to loose the pin and or shackle.

Old 08-12-2013, 05:34 PM
Diaita will become famous soon enough

I have yet to see someone need a hi-lift off-road. I have 2 in my shop, and none on either of my 4x4s, and as of yet have had need for one off-road.

Don't buy a strap with any type of steel end(chain or hook). It can turn into a projectile if it comes unhooked. Get something like this:
Amazon.com: Extreme-Duty 30' Tow - Cargo Strap 40,000 Lb Capacity: Home Improvement Amazon.com: Extreme-Duty 30' Tow - Cargo Strap 40,000 Lb Capacity: Home Improvement

Old 08-12-2013, 09:25 PM
litterbug will become famous soon enough

i dont think you would ever need a high lift. and i do some heavy duty offroading.

as for the strap try to get a recovery strap. not a tow strap. recovery straps stretch and use kenetic energy to jerk the truck out of whatever it is stuck on. a tow strap has no give and really jerks the car and can usually break things that way.

i have a bubba rope. granted they are expensive (170) but they are well worth it. makes pulling people out much easier. depends on the kind of offroading you are gonna be doing as well. if your gonna be out in rocks and stuff id take a winch over a strap any day. but recovery straps are the way to go.

Amazon.com: Bubba Rope 176680RDG 7/8" x 30' Breaking Strength Original Rope with Standard Red Eye - 28600 lbs. Capacity: Automotive Amazon.com: Bubba Rope 176680RDG 7/8" x 30' Breaking Strength Original Rope with Standard Red Eye - 28600 lbs. Capacity: Automotive

Old 08-13-2013, 09:28 AM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

I was given a free hi lift, and while it looks kinda cool mounted on the roof rack, I haven't had to use it. I can think of a few times it would be useful, such as lifting a corner to place traction aids under a tire. But the problem is there isn't a good lifting point on a blazer, except for the rear bumper/hitch. The front tow hooks won't support the weight, and will bend. Ask me how I know, lol.

Like everyone else has said, stay away from a strap with hooks. Loops and good shackles are the way to go. I've replaced my tow hooks with shackles, and have a couple more in the truck alongside my strap.

Old 08-13-2013, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by cleburne red View Post
I was given a free hi lift, and while it looks kinda cool mounted on the roof rack, I haven't had to use it. I can think of a few times it would be useful, such as lifting a corner to place traction aids under a tire. But the problem is there isn't a good lifting point on a blazer, except for the rear bumper/hitch. The front tow hooks won't support the weight, and will bend. Ask me how I know, lol.

Like everyone else has said, stay away from a strap with hooks. Loops and good shackles are the way to go. I've replaced my tow hooks with shackles, and have a couple more in the truck alongside my strap.
Thanks for this--I guess I'll save my money and not buy the lift, but will definitely buy the recovery strap with loops. And I think a good shovel and some old pieces of carpet may be a good idea. I also plan to get a tire deflator and a tire pump. I'm not planning to do anything that rough, but I also want to be prepared. No mud whomping or bouldering.

--L.

Old 08-13-2013, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by litterbug View Post
i dont think you would ever need a high lift. and i do some heavy duty offroading.

as for the strap try to get a recovery strap. not a tow strap. recovery straps stretch and use kenetic energy to jerk the truck out of whatever it is stuck on. a tow strap has no give and really jerks the car and can usually break things that way.

i have a bubba rope. granted they are expensive (170) but they are well worth it. makes pulling people out much easier. depends on the kind of offroading you are gonna be doing as well. if your gonna be out in rocks and stuff id take a winch over a strap any day. but recovery straps are the way to go.

Amazon.com: Bubba Rope 176680RDG 7/8" x 30' Breaking Strength Original Rope with Standard Red Eye - 28600 lbs. Capacity: Automotive
Thanks! I'm going to order the recovery strap with loops!

Old 08-13-2013, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Diaita View Post
I have yet to see someone need a hi-lift off-road. I have 2 in my shop, and none on either of my 4x4s, and as of yet have had need for one off-road.

Don't buy a strap with any type of steel end(chain or hook). It can turn into a projectile if it comes unhooked. Get something like this: Amazon.com: Extreme-Duty 30' Tow - Cargo Strap 40,000 Lb Capacity: Home Improvement
Thanks for your input! It makes me wonder why all the 4x4 groups insist that a hi-lift jack be carried. As for the straps, the majority consesus is recovery straps with loops--so that's what I'm gettin'!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hi-Lift Jack & tow strap

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.