Off Roading Got a story about taking your Blazer off the paved roads? This is your section!

how far will a zr2 go?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 02:00 PM
Beginning Member
Zr2Newbie is on a distinguished road
Default how far will a zr2 go?

Hello I'm new to this site and hope I'm putting this in the right place. I have recently aquired a 01 zr2 blazer and I am intrested in getting off road. I have been reading through some of the build threads and defintly have a lot of ideas but how far will a stock Zr2 get? If I take it off road will it have no problem or are their some things I should look out?

Old 10-16-2012, 05:46 PM
Beginning Member
cory renner is on a distinguished road

thats going to depend on where u are what u are planning on doing rocks, mud, sand, logging roads i use myn in bc mainly stock for rocky trails with some sand light mud and about wheel deep water crossings and if u are carefull myn does just fine

Old 10-17-2012, 06:41 AM
Beginning Member

Yeah I'm looking at mostly just sand and two tracks for now

Old 10-17-2012, 09:27 AM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

You should be fine for normal offroading, and you can build from there. The ZR2 is pretty capable on its own, although decent AT or MT tires will go a long ways to helping you keep moving forward. If you have bald tires or regular street tires it's a lot easier to lose traction when you get into the slippery stuff.

Old 10-17-2012, 10:06 AM
Beginning Member

Yeah right now my tires are pretty bald any suggestions on tire I was looking for good performance on road but still able to handle the off road

Old 10-17-2012, 10:26 AM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

I'm partial to Cooper tires. I absolutely love the Zeon LTZ's I have on my Durango. Great traction in every condition I've put them in; from dry or wet highway, to sand to ice and snow. And they look awesome too with a nice agressive tread. I've also heard good things about Hankook too. Everyone will probably give you a different answer, depending on personal experience.

A decent AT tire will give you good off-road capabilities while still performing well on the highway. If you go more agressive with MT style tires you'll get better off-road traction, but you'll probably sacrifice a bit in tire wear and highway comfort. Some MT and AT type tires also perform poorly in the snow because of the large solid tread blocks. Not sure if that would matter to you.

Old 10-18-2012, 09:37 PM
Beginning Member

I have one more question right now my blazer has a grill guard on it and I was if that will negatively affect my off roading

Old 10-23-2012, 05:22 PM
Beginning Member
cory renner is on a distinguished road

i cant see why it would affect unless it sticks out really far could effect your aproach but also look for pro comp tires they go on sale 3 for 4 every few monthes

Old 12-02-2012, 11:51 PM
kmcn47 is on a distinguished road

from what i've seen, there isn't anything naturally occurring that can stop a zr2, which is why i want one so bad, another new member here, first post

Old 12-03-2012, 06:00 AM
Vader is on a distinguished road

Theirs been a few stories of a ZR2 out performing some modded Jeeps. They can pretty much go everywhere a stock or lightly modified Jeep can go. If your needing new tires look into the new Toyo AT2 tires.

Quick Reply: how far will a zr2 go?