Off Roading Got a story about taking your Blazer off the paved roads? This is your section!

My first off-road experience

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 12:38 PM
rabbit0102030 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default My first off-road experience

Hope everybody with a 4x4 can appreciate the trouble I went throught to get my ROTM pic for this month. I followed a small group of peopleI know, who have 4 wheel drive Jeeps, pickups, and a couple suv's, down a 4x4 trail out in the middle of nowhere. Had them helping me out on how to pass through a few spots not having 4x4, I gotta say it was fun. It was a slow process too. We only went 6 miles one way and made this turn around and 5 miles back to paved civilization, but it took a well over two hours. I was surprised at how careful everyone was. I always imagined off-roading as just a bunch of mud-slinging and banging throught the woods running everything over (thats how my brothers goofy friends always did it). I waqs hesitant to ask if they would let me tag along because I thought I'd get left behind or mess my truck up, but they assured me they would help me out and that they don't go off-road to tear their trucks up. We were about 4 miles out when we went under this old unused train trestle, and I had to stop and chamois up my truck real quick and snap the pic. It was going over the river that we were driving next to, and it was really cool. It was even more fun later when we crossed over the river to head back to the road. The spot we went across was about half a foot deep and about 30 feet across, it was layered with these flat smooth palm sized rocks and made for an easy and clean cut across the river. I stopped on the other side and grabbed arock out of the river and I think I'm going to keep it in myblazeas a momento of the occasion. The changing terrain is what I enjoyed the most. It went from something like a gravel road when we first came off the pavement to a sort of mixed gravel and dirt and back to gravel again near the train trestle and changed back and forth the entire trail. There were lots of dips and curves and ruts the farther out we got. All in all, I had alot of fun, and have alot more appreciation for 4x4 lovers.

Old 03-05-2007, 01:31 PM
Chevyguy032 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: My first off-road experience

yea..basicaly people are careful on trails..the harder you hit things you most likely your tear something up..but now if you where in a field I could see why people would tear it up..at least i know i would

Old 03-05-2007, 02:15 PM
jimmyboy is an unknown quantity at this point

did you get any pics of your adventure?

jimmyboy

Old 03-05-2007, 03:16 PM

Yeah I only have the one posted in my gallery by the train trestle. I plan on going again next time they go and getting pics of my truck crawling through some of the ruts!

Old 03-05-2007, 04:03 PM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

i hope you didnt leave ur rims on [8D]

rabbit that truck is not an off road toy! [sm=icon_stickpoke.gif]

what if you scratched the paint

Old 03-05-2007, 06:00 PM

I did leave my rims on. They did fine. Like I said we were very careful. I know it is not an off-road toy, which is why I would never go mudding in it or do anything to ding or scratch her up. What if I scratched the paint? It's just paint. I can always have it touched up or just re-paint the entire thing. Scratches add character. It was fun to get off the street and experience something different.

Old 03-05-2007, 06:34 PM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

Well I know if I had paint like that and it got scratched id be choked. It would take forever to try find fingernail polish that color [8D]

Old 03-05-2007, 07:28 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

Trail riding for the most part, is a pretty sedate thing, and usually a lot of fun! I usually enjoy that more than hardcore mud slinging... But once and awhile, coming home, and people not knowing the color of my vehicle is fun...

And for the most part, tree branches only affect the clear coat, so not too much to worry about there...

Sounds like a fun river crossing! Snap pics of the entire trip next time! lol

Old 03-05-2007, 08:27 PM
lastcoupe is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't play rabbit...those pics are right after a fresh detail......lmao. And I'd love to see a set of 20's on a 2wd go through some ruts even if it was completely dry terrain

Old 03-05-2007, 08:42 PM

I didn't detail until afterward, but I did do a wash and chamois before, so I guess you kinda got me there. I wax almost every week, so a simple chamois job or california car duster quickie makes it look freshly detailed most of the time. Anyway, I never said I crawled through super deep ruts in a 2wd with 20's, I like to have fun, I'm not stupid. I messed with some small stuff that my rims and truck could handle.

Quick Reply: My first off-road experience