Off Roading Got a story about taking your Blazer off the paved roads? This is your section!

My Ol' 77 K5

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 12:23 AM
swearingsailor6 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default My Ol' 77 K5

I am in the navy, and I went home on leave to South Dakota to see my brothers and my wife (GF at the time) and decided to fire up my old 77 K5 that had been sitting in my step-dads garage since I joined....it is a K5, 6 inch lift with 35's 350 cid 4spd manual. it has headers, and strait pipes to dumps right before the rear wheels. Well, we are doing a little bit of wheeling on a few back roads, hitting some snow drifts, a little bit of mud underneath but nothing too special. Then we found this field that looked pretty easy...a little bit of mud in the center where the ground was lower and a few small drifts of melting snow here and there so we decided to take a chance. We made it through the center of the field with a little bit of spinning tires, threw some mud around and had a good time. We really couldn't find any really fun stuff, so we headed home. Then I got this great idea, I said, "hey, lets check out the old gravel pit by the house, have you guys been up there lately?" they said no, but they wanted to check it out and then take the "back way" home which consists of a steep sand hill, which leads to a high hill of mud and dirt and huge rutsthat the farmers make withthere John Deers. So off we went on our exexpedition to the wild unknown. It started out great, some awsome mud pits, back roads around the old buildings, a small stream or two, but then we come upon this slew, I don't know if you all know what a slew is, but in other words its a stock dam, a man-made watering hole for cattle, and it didn't look to deep, so we decided to take a chance, the hubs were already locked, the transfer case in 4 hi so I floored it, thinking that the momentum would carry me through even if it was fairly deep....well needless to say, it was VERY deep, about 5 feet deep, with a seemingly bottomless mud hole on the bottom. I got about 8 feet into the water and I stopped like I ran into a brick wall....I threw her into reverse, eased the clutch and then stomped the loud peddle...I got about 2 feet before I stopped again, threw her into first, but by this time I was as buried as any vehicle I have ever seen....The pipes were about 3 feet underwater, I had water running in the windows, but somehow she was still purring like a kitten. I tried it in 4 low, but I wasn't moving an inch. We hiked back to our house which was about 6 miles away ( no cell phone towers in that part of SD) and talked to my step dad who let us borrow his 93 GMC Extended cab so that we could try to get her out, but we couldn't even make it up the first hill, we backed out of that one, and went back home....called a friend with his lifted 94 Chevy and he came out to help, but got stuck about 20 yrds away even before we got the chain hooked up. Well, we had one other idea, so we called up my step dad once again, and asked him if we could use the Pay Loader, as he works for another gravel pit about 10 miles down the road. he shows up about an hour later, hooks both trucks together, and pulls both of us out at the same time.....it was one of the most fun days I've ever had, as well as the most misreable....sorry it was such a long story!!

Old 12-18-2006, 12:36 AM
BF Veteran
user 1016 has a spectacular aura aboutuser 1016 has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: My Ol' 77 K5

that sounds like a fantastic story! water coming in the windows wow!

Old 12-18-2006, 03:42 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: My Ol' 77 K5

Your Ol '77 is almost the same setup as my '85. Just add a winch and 36" super swampers.
I don't mind reading a good story, but it would be so much better with pics.
I hate being caught anywhere without a camera.