Off Roading Got a story about taking your Blazer off the paved roads? This is your section!

skid plates?

  #1  
Old 09-26-2010, 03:53 PM
97cherryblazer's Avatar
Super Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Lynnwood WA
Posts: 1,486
97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough
Default skid plates?

i worry about taking my blazer off roading because it has no skid plates accept one tiny one under the trany. it has a guard under the engine but its plastic and a guard around the gas tank but its also plastic. my blazer is a 97 Lt are they all like this? or are these plastic guards strong enough to protect from most debris?
 
  #2  
Old 09-26-2010, 05:39 PM
Starting Member
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Parkersburg, WV/Morgantown, WV
Posts: 185
jbsnowboarder16 is on a distinguished road
Default

They are decent, but aluminum or steel ones are better. Check LMC Trucks, they have a good selection
 
  #3  
Old 09-26-2010, 05:44 PM
pj5454302's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Green bay Wi
Posts: 982
pj5454302 will become famous soon enough
Default

Originally Posted by 97cherryblazer View Post
i worry about taking my blazer off roading because it has no skid plates accept one tiny one under the trany. it has a guard under the engine but its plastic and a guard around the gas tank but its also plastic. my blazer is a 97 Lt are they all like this? or are these plastic guards strong enough to protect from most debris?
Unfortunatly most are like that. What you have to do is find skid plates from an older blazer/s10 or one that came with them. Thats what I did. They come in aluminum and carbon fiber.

Here's mine.




 
  #4  
Old 09-26-2010, 05:48 PM
Senior Member
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 611
Logan is on a distinguished road
Default

Just go easy on the skinny pedal, and dont be a retard like me on the trails and you will be fine... I matched a buggies speed once...lost 2 skid plates as a result...lol
 
  #5  
Old 09-29-2010, 12:25 AM
97cherryblazer's Avatar
Super Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Lynnwood WA
Posts: 1,486
97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough
Default

Originally Posted by pj5454302 View Post
Unfortunatly most are like that. What you have to do is find skid plates from an older blazer/s10 or one that came with them. Thats what I did. They come in aluminum and carbon fiber.

Here's mine.




Thanks for the pics! How hard was it to get that in there?
 
  #6  
Old 09-29-2010, 07:17 AM
pj5454302's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Green bay Wi
Posts: 982
pj5454302 will become famous soon enough
Default

Originally Posted by 97cherryblazer View Post
Thanks for the pics! How hard was it to get that in there?
Do you mean put them on? They just bolted right up, You have to get mounting tabs for the front diff skid plate and my t-case skid plate needed some trimming to fit.(I guess the auto track t-cases are deeper than the regular ones)
 
  #7  
Old 09-29-2010, 08:59 AM
TylerCiervo's Avatar
Starting Member
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Long Island
Posts: 109
TylerCiervo is on a distinguished road
Default

I think I need a skid plate on mine as well. I haven't taken a look underneath yet to see if there is one.

If you plan on doing some decent off roading, get an aluminum skid plate to cover up anything that could be ruined by rocks/dirt/mud.
 
  #8  
Old 09-29-2010, 10:19 PM
abig84's Avatar
BF Veteran
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: munster indiana
Posts: 3,426
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough
Default

anyone ever broke that front plastic skid panel before? i had it on a s10 that was strictly a offroad truck for about 3 years and never broke it. i did smash it kinda upward once, just had to pull it off and flatten it out and reattach but always held up
 
  #9  
Old 10-18-2010, 09:41 AM
Beginning Member
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NC, Iraq, Back-And-forth
Posts: 18
TannerPacker is on a distinguished road
Default

I hit my stock plastic one and dented my oil pan. The plate survived, but I had to replace my oil pan gasket
 
  #10  
Old 10-20-2010, 11:22 AM
Beginning Member
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 10
jello219 is on a distinguished road
Default

Originally Posted by abig84 View Post
anyone ever broke that front plastic skid panel before? i had it on a s10 that was strictly a offroad truck for about 3 years and never broke it. i did smash it kinda upward once, just had to pull it off and flatten it out and reattach but always held up
Yeah, I blew mine up. Dozens of pieces, guess ramping it in the sand dunes probably wasn't a good idea. Need to find a metal one, if only they werent so expensive new. Looks like I need to find one that game with it.
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: skid plates?


Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.