Off Roading Got a story about taking your Blazer off the paved roads? This is your section!

Skid Plates

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 11:16 PM
jalbin is on a distinguished road
Default Skid Plates

I own a used 1997 four-door 4WD Blazer that I believe has had work done to it, but I really don't know much about it. What I am curious about is that it seems to have a series of skid plates underneath which have made off roading much less stressful. When I researched them, I found that the only Blazers that were made with factory skid plates were the two-door ZR2's. Is my truck some special release model or something like that, or did someone just install the plates later on? They appear to be professionally done if so, and they align with the frame perfectly.

Old 01-05-2017, 02:52 AM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

Nah, my 95 4-door had the aluminum skids from the factory too. Pretty nice off road, can take a bit of damage before cracking. The ZR2s have composite skid plates that 'slide' more easily off rocks and still protect quite a bit. If you've got the skids, you may also have the GU4 and G80 RPO codes as well. I had a lot of fun with my G80, just don't beat on it on dry pavement, it's known as a Gov-Bomb for a reason, very rough engagement.

Old 01-05-2017, 09:29 PM
blazen_red_4x4 is on a distinguished road

it's just an option. a seemingly rare one at that...

I put OEM carbon fiber skids I found in a junk yard onto my 4-door, direct bolt on from another 4 door, with the hardware of course

Name:  KIMG0003.jpg
Views: 2013
Size:  2.83 MB

Name:  KIMG0004.jpg
Views: 2000
Size:  2.84 MB

Name:  KIMG0005.jpg
Views: 2831
Size:  1.84 MB

Name:  KIMG0007.jpg
Views: 1471
Size:  1.37 MB

Old 01-08-2017, 06:40 AM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

Never seen CF skids before, that's kinda cool. What year did it come off?

Edit: Dumb question, how about early 2nd gen or late 2nd gen?

Edit #2: Nevermind, it's early, I've been working 12hrs now, I need sleep. Still cool though.

Old 01-08-2017, 07:10 PM
blazen_red_4x4 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Thogert
Never seen CF skids before, that's kinda cool. What year did it come off?

Edit: Dumb question, how about early 2nd gen or late 2nd gen?

Edit #2: Nevermind, it's early, I've been working 12hrs now, I need sleep. Still cool though.
Lol it's all good. I think they were on an 02, but it's been a while.

Interesting though you say your 95 4 door had aluminums. I've seen the CF on both ZR2 and non ZR2, but I've only ever seen the aluminum on the ZR2

Old 01-09-2017, 12:36 PM
BF Veteran

Here's a pic where you can see the alum diff plate. (I may or may not have been high centered in this pic)

Name:  Blazer011-3.jpg
Views: 1626
Size:  132.8 KB

Old 01-09-2017, 08:48 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

Mine had full aluminum skids under it including the gas tank.

Old 01-11-2017, 09:25 PM
Fire_blazer is on a distinguished road

I just bought a 98 blazer 4 door 4x4 ....love this truck...i dont know to much about what was done to it from previous owners did to it ...but i think it have a 2" left on it cause it sits high...how can i tell if my truck have a left on it....

Old 01-14-2017, 09:24 PM
Starting Member
95teal4x4 is on a distinguished road

My 95 4 door has the aluminum skidplate package on it too. It really does make it look so much more offroady. I thought i had the RPO code for it down somewhere. but i found which one it was on this forum. If you want to find out whether or not yours came from the factory with it you can look up the code and see if it is in the list. Although mine was an LS, it was fully loaded. It does have the G80 rear and 4x4 if that means anything to anyone researching.

Old 02-08-2017, 08:17 PM
BF Veteran
DonL is on a distinguished road
Default 99 4 door

I got a 99 4 door blazer I've had for about 2 years now. Been slowly picking up parts here and there.... Next is a 2" body lift and a small suspension upgrade.... Not looking into raising too much, but enough to have fun... My question, if there are any Canadian owner on here that know of a place where I can get skid plates? Junk yards around here are hard to find some vehicles off of the ground... And for everyone else... Know of any sites that are cheap enough to ship to Canada? Or maybe close to an Ontario border I can drive to? Going to South Dakota in April!!! Going to check out the badlands and hills of Montana!!!

Quick Reply: Skid Plates