Off Roading Got a story about taking your Blazer off the paved roads? This is your section!

So? what are the second gen blazers really capable of?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 06:35 PM
Starting Member
kenny100034 is on a distinguished road

I thought they looked like they would be a good tire, and like you said for the price who can argue. I checked out wrangler authorities today and they were like $150. Did they ship them to your house? or did you have to have them shipped to a garage

Old 06-25-2012, 10:06 PM
pj5454302 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by kenny100034
I thought they looked like they would be a good tire, and like you said for the price who can argue. I checked out wrangler authorities today and they were like $150. Did they ship them to your house? or did you have to have them shipped to a garage
For all 4 shipped it was $550. They will ship to your home, I work at a gmc dealership so I had them shipped there.

Old 11-30-2012, 09:19 PM
bigred01 is on a distinguished road

i love what the blazer can do, i have the locking diffs( up front and back) factory, spins all 4, downfalls the 4l60e is prob the worst trans, expensive lift kits(mine was cheap cut holes in the crossmember and cranked the **** out of them) 3 inch susp/3inch body.

Old 11-30-2012, 09:54 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

What model blazer do you have? I've never heard of a factory locking front dif!! And what do you mean by you cut holes in the crossmember and cranked them? That doesn't make much sense to me lol!!

Old 12-01-2012, 01:14 AM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by rexmburns
What model blazer do you have? I've never heard of a factory locking front dif!! And what do you mean by you cut holes in the crossmember and cranked them? That doesn't make much sense to me lol!!
u

True, the only locking diff I know of in a 2nd gen is the G80.
As for the members etc, no idea.
The 4Ĺ60E isn't a bad Trans, they work well in half tons and with a rebuild kit can handle 350HP. I know, I have mine built like that.

Old 12-01-2012, 01:50 AM
Diaita will become famous soon enough

um.... no limited slip or locker available for the front from the factory. only 2 maybe 3 in the aftermarket. The 4L60E is one of the most sought after transmissions for anything from 4x4s to hot rods because of its strength and reliability.

Old 12-01-2012, 07:01 AM
bigred01 is on a distinguished road

rex/diatiata... mine is an01 2 door 3.73 gears and thier is a locker up front, i bought it like that and i seriously doubt someone took the time to put an aftermarket locking diff up front but, who knows i know its up front and it makes me happy. As per the lift the torsion bar crossmember has 2 circlur holes cut so the keys sit past the crossmember and got almost 3 inches out of it doing it the unsafe way

Old 12-01-2012, 07:52 AM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

Hmmmm ok well three people all agree they didn't come factory so I guess if its really there some took the time to put it in there! Could you post up a pic of your rig please? Also what "G" code is in your glove box?

Old 12-01-2012, 09:34 AM
Beginning Member
FarmBlazer is on a distinguished road

And what do you mean expensive lift kits? The kits for these trucks are some of the cheapest I have ever seen. $420 from Rough Country, 2.5" w/ torsion bar keys, rear lift shackles, front diff drop brackets, upper control arms w/ rebuildable ball joints, and 4 nitro shocks. FOR $420!! And for $500, I can get a Superlift or Rough Country 5-6" lift kit with new upper control arms, diff drop brackets, shocks, high-strength IFS housing, rear axle flip kit. I worked as a tech for Jeep and know you are gona have a hard time finding that cheap of kit for a Jeep (mainly cause its a jeep)

Old 12-01-2012, 09:56 AM
Beginning Member
FarmBlazer is on a distinguished road

So, been doing a little more offroading with the Blazer recently. I offroad with a Land Rover club, alongside some pretty well-armored, $15,000 rides. We are still stock-class, but we go some pretty gnarly places. Turns out the Blazer is a pretty awesome little crawler, the main weakness of it are the clearance of the frame and the driver. Bottomed out once, but it pulled right out. I built a custom front recovery point (thanks to my buddy for the welds) and ended up being the recovery vehicle. Our primary members are a Disco I with all the bells, except lockers. Open diffs, but he got training to drive offroad when he was a Land Rover technician, have only seen him get stuck once. Then a Disco II with traction control and another trained offroader, a beat-to-hell Disco II, and a lifted FJ Cruiser (pretty badass, aftermarket rear axle with air locker). I follow them everywhere and do much better in mud, with my LSD and greater power output, plus the tires and lighter truck. Probably the most fun we had was when we took our trucks on a motocross track. The Discos were no fun, cause they had to do 7-point turns around the corners. The FJ barely fit on the track, and wobbled around cause of the lift kit. After 20 minutes, everyone was lining up to ride shotgun in the Blazer. It was the only one there small enough to make the turns, and could powerslide since I kept it in 2wd. Reached speeds of 40 mph on the 1/2 mile track, and on the long straight there was a table-top jump. Accidentally took that too fast and ended up crunching my fenders with my tires cause of the wide-stance wheels. No matter, can of spray paint later and I have battle scars and a funny story of jumping a Blazer 6 foot off the ground!

Quick Reply: So? what are the second gen blazers really capable of?