Off Roading Got a story about taking your Blazer off the paved roads? This is your section!

truck wont accelerate after fun in mud

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 08:14 AM
Starting Member
woodsballr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default truck wont accelerate after fun in mud

well yesterday i had the bright idea to go play in some mud. long story much shorter i had to get pulled out a couple times. now my truck isn't running right. i went out this morning to go to school and when i tried to go the truck was acting weird. the first 1/4 inch or so of the gas pedal yields acceleration but if i push it down any father, including all the way down, it just sputters like its at idle for 4-5 seconds and then slowly starts to accelerate still sputtering. it idles fine. when it warms up some i'm gonna go out and try it again.
any suggestions are welcome.
*(this is probably in the wrong section)

Old 03-12-2008, 08:39 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: truck wont accelerate after fun in mud

Is this with the truck listed in your signature? If so you might have a stuck float in the carb...

Old 03-12-2008, 08:42 AM
Starting Member

yes it is the truck in my sig. how difficult is a stuck float to fix and how would i go about it? i was planning on rebuilding my carb during spring break but i guess i get a sneak preview now.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:44 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on the carb. Rebuilding a Holley is a sinch. The Rochester Q-jets are a bit more involved.

What for a carb does it have on it? I'm guessing a Rochester Q-jet.

Here is a link that I came across a long time ago that has a TON of links specifically on the Rochester Q-jet - florida4x4.com

Old 03-12-2008, 08:48 AM
Starting Member

its the stock carb. i believe its the Rochester. i really dont want to rebuild it quite yet mostly because i cant afford the rebuild kit this week. how would i go about fixing the float to get this running for today?

Old 03-12-2008, 08:50 AM
Administrator

Well, one other thing that I would recommend first would be to change the fuel filter. It should be located in the front of the carb if I remember my rochesters right. It is possible that it has plugged up due to you tossing it around in the mud, possibly stiring up junk from the tank.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:59 AM
Starting Member

im getting ready to go take a look at that and see what it looks like. i cant afford a new one this week though so if its dirty ill just clean it. what should i do after that?

Old 03-12-2008, 09:52 AM
Administrator

Fuel filters for those carbs are dirt cheap, IIRC.

Also, if I remember my Q-jets right, the only way to mess with the float is to remove the top plate off the carb. It isn't as simple as it should be! If the fuel filter doesn't do it...

Old 03-12-2008, 10:09 AM
Starting Member

the exhaust is leaking all around the inlet pipe on the muffler. could that be contributing to the problem? if i take that off would it help? i think its bolted on.

Old 03-12-2008, 10:23 AM
Starting Member
garry2000blazer is an unknown quantity at this point

How big is the hole inthe exhaustleak? If the mud was "muddy" enough, you may have gotten some in your muffler and is clogging your exhaust.

Quick Reply: truck wont accelerate after fun in mud