Off Roading Got a story about taking your Blazer off the paved roads? This is your section!

Very stupid offroading!

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 12:20 AM
Starting Member
KA3AX is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Very stupid offroading!

Hey guys!

It was raining very hard in my area and I wanted to go off roading. I took my 97 Chevy Blazer 4x4 into this one BIG and DEEP puddle of water and while I was going in 4-high, the water got up to the head lights, and my engine stalled!!! So basically I think I flooded my engine. Now it is still stuck in the water because I don't have any equipment to take it out yet. So my questions are: What happens now with my engine being flooded, or did I flood it at all or maybe it just cut off? If I leave my Blazer setting in the water for couple of days to a week, will that harm the engine or tranny even more?

Thanks in advance!

Old 11-17-2006, 12:34 AM
quontush is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Very stupid offroading!

Well i would say the faster you get it out the better. I flooded mine going through some deep water. It Stalled just like it sounds like yours did, lucky for me i had the momentum to keep rolling out of the water. Had to pull the spark plugs then turn over the engine a bunch of times to get all the water out. That after getting all the water out of the intake. Overall a pain in the butt, but it started right up after a jump and tapin the starter a bit. Hope that is helpfull good luck.

Old 11-17-2006, 12:58 AM
Starting Member

Wow, thanks a lot for your instant response! Do you know if our blazers are equipped with some kind of protection from water damage happening to the engine by any chance? I know that if the motor is very low on oil then it will cut off and not start before you put more oil in it, so I'm thinking maybe the same with water??? I think that they probably not but just asking. I got down in the muddy water up to my bumpers (even higher a little bit) so I couldn't even see my wheels!!! So my gas tank probably has water in it, and I will probably have to change the oil in my dif and tranny and engine, right? What about the CV joints, do I have to get the water out of the boots too?

Thanks again for your help!

Old 11-17-2006, 01:34 AM
4lowlife is on a distinguished road

CV's should be sealed. I would change the t case fluid. Dunno how long the breather tube straw is, if there is one. Maybe the rear diff fluid too. I know the rear axle tube goes to the body on mine.

As long as it didnt inhale water, I cant think of a reason there would be water in the engine/intake area.
If it did, remove the plugs as stated above and attept to turn it over a few times. And spray some ether into the throttle body.

From what you described. I can see water go up through the tailpipe, but not past the exhaust manifolds.

Old 11-17-2006, 01:59 AM
eslhockey92g is an unknown quantity at this point

sounds like me 4 weeks ago. I had a 97 4 door 3" w/ 31's. I blew my motor and got a new jasper motor poped in. Broke it in and i wanted to get a lilttle mud on the tires. I found a hole so deep that the water line went up to the wheel wells. 31's w/ a 3" and still went in that deep. motor stoped car filled compltey with water. the motor was 3 days old and i broke it already haha. My buddy got a friends titian and it ripped me out of there like it was nothing. Turns out i just fried my starter. The guy told me the starters really dont like water, esp when its under water. the motor was fine, BUT there was soo much mud in the tranny and t-case they had to be rebuilt i guess they got filled when the breathers wetn under. One expenive offroading adventure and a pain in the but gutting the INT of the car and cleaning it. I wouldnt even try to start that thing untill you drained all the fulids put new stuff in and taken the plugs out, only when your sure all your fluids are good and you have no mud or what not, give it a shot and crank it. You could snap a rod if you dont

Old 11-17-2006, 11:41 AM
samurai_24 is an unknown quantity at this point

[:@] That sucks KA3AX! Got any pics?

Old 11-21-2006, 05:05 PM
kaindragoon36 is an unknown quantity at this point

Your engine stalled because you got water in the distributor...they don't play nice when that happesn. Had that happen a lot when I was younger driving thru mud holes on our farm.

Old 11-21-2006, 05:21 PM
20Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point

More than likely it stalled because water shorted out the MAF sensor and the computer shut it down to keep it from blowing. The MAF sensor will shut down the truck if it senses to much moisture in the intake system, since the wires in the MAF use heat to determine how much air is flowing into the intake when water shorts them out the computer adjusts the fuel injetors accordingly and if it leans the mixture below the factory tables in the computer well, the computer is smart enough to turn off the spark so the pistons don't melt from an overly lean condition...

Old 11-22-2006, 02:19 PM
Starting Member

Thanks a lot everyone for your help and understandment of my situation!

I just checked my tranny and transfer case and both of them had a lot of water inside of them.[:@] I took my Blazer to my friend (he has this tranny fluid flush machine) and we flushed the tranny and changed the oil in the transfer case. Now I'm worried about the tranny, a lot of people see to say that if I got water in it then I need to change it (basically it will die very soon). Is there any chance that my tranny could survive? It has roughly 80,000 miles on it. What about my T-case? Any chance that it will survive? The T-case has about 150,000 miles on it.

I paid the guy $65.00 for labor, is that decent? or a rip off?

Thanks

Old 11-22-2006, 03:53 PM
ceanern is an unknown quantity at this point

I've seen where ppl recomend changing all fluids, oils, tranny fluids, filters Just to be on the safe side. Espically if it sat there for a while. Better safe than sorry.

Quick Reply: Very stupid offroading!