Off Roading Got a story about taking your Blazer off the paved roads? This is your section!

Waterproofing to cross water?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 07:52 PM
Beginning Member
Inferno is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Waterproofing to cross water?

Oh, no way I'd take her in salt water... but it's been raining pretty heavy here and there are spots with up to 2 ft of flooding...

On a side note, I pulled a little too far forwards into my parking gate arm a few months back, but fortunately the gouge is right over the air filter box! So, I started thinking about putting a heat shield in there along with a duct to bring the cool air in-- nothing too big, just a small scoop off to the side on the hood...

Old 12-05-2007, 08:24 PM
Tippman7641 is an unknown quantity at this point

well i was working behind the door pannels, in the back, like when u remove the trims door handle, so all u have is a steall door frame witha a few wires and a speaker, at the bottom towards the bad of the innder door, ther are two holes, i think for draing or something, but water would deffintly come through them and ruin ur speakers and floor, that is if u plan on going that deep, check EVERYWHERE, as even the smallest holes can let in a profuse amount of water

Old 12-09-2007, 08:33 AM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

My speaker still works fine and it had water 1/3 of the way up the cone, lol.

Yeah, don't go in anything more than 3.5 - 4 feet of water.

Also, I had no water coming into the cab until I stopped...

I'm going to see if I can rig up some "locks" that I can twist to seal the doors really tight... Like the old school Ampha Car...

And a snorkel, lol.

Old 12-11-2007, 01:53 AM
Beginning Member

Ah ha... okay, so how about the heat-shield and cutting an air inlet in the hood? I figured it would be a good idea since it does get pretty hot under there...

Old 12-26-2007, 12:41 PM
Beginning Member
Swamprat is an unknown quantity at this point

If your gonna be cuttin on your body , you might as well go to the hardware store and get some snorkle buildin materials[sm=crossbonesgif.gif]

Old 12-26-2007, 09:21 PM
Beginning Member

Oh, don't tempt me! Thing is, putting that tube on the side will make it that much more tighter a squeeze into the parking garages here in Hawaii... space is a premium. I think a low-profile scoop, similar to what you see on a 2001 Mustang, would do the trick... nothing that screams "I wish this was a Honda rice rocket", but just a little something to help bring in the cool air after I build my own copy of Triple's heatshield...

Old 12-27-2007, 01:22 AM
Beginning Member

what i done on my K5 is after my body lift I took my air intake hose and turned it upward for an extra 3" of breathing room... I was considering a scoop like that to allow my baby snorkle more air....

IF your considering putting that scoop on yours ,ya might as well route your air intake up to it... just a lil idea for some extra breathin room.....

Old 12-27-2007, 01:47 AM
Beginning Member

Ahhh, any pics? Does anything protrude from the hood? Also, what did you use? I have PVC and styrene-core ABS here on my end, not sure how it would handle with the engine heat and all... I was just going to hit Checker's to get the pipe and filter there, but they want $50 for 3" wide chromed pipe! Seriously, if I could do that myself...

Old 12-27-2007, 02:44 AM
Beginning Member

I aint got no pics of it... all I done was turned my stock air intake upward because i had +3" of room due to my body lift...

you can use pvc or flex tube... heat wrap is kinda cheap...
you can also use flex tube...

as long as you aint runnin a big ol V8 you really aint gotta worry about stuff melting if you just keep it to either side of the motor

get creative... just walk through the hardware store ... you'll find what you need... thats how i done my ATV...

Old 12-27-2007, 03:02 PM
Beginning Member

Good, I like that idea; hell, I like just walking through the hardware store in the first place! I don't get to do a lot of off-roading here, much less deep water crossing, so I'm not too worried about water getting into the intake. Of course, once I'm done, pics will be posted ^_^

Quick Reply: Waterproofing to cross water?